GI bill and SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand what you guys are saying, this course is a year long, and you do well over 100+ dives.
They don't "just power through" sections and leave you to it, if they did, I wouldn't even be looking into this. I have been diving since 2005, but due to some complications with my certs never being sent it (because of a shady instructor), I have had to start at the beginning and ensure this time my certs are sent in and verifiable.
I apologize for the confusion, and I do thank you for the concern.
What is your goal ultimately? Being an instructor is best suited for gap year kids. Trying to make a decent living, even when opening a dive center, is difficult. When I open a dive center, it will be for an active retirement, so my goal is to not lose money.

What is your goal ultimately? Being an instructor is best suited for gap year kids. Trying to make a decent living, even when opening a dive center, is difficult. When I open a dive center, it will be for an active retirement, so my goal is to not lose money.
I'm retired from the Navy (20 yrs Active Duty). It's something I enjoy and wouldn't mind making money while teaching others and sharing the love and respect of the water as well.

I thought they dropped SCUBA training from the GI bill. Something about it wasn’t a viable career path.

I'm retired from the Navy (20 yrs Active Duty). It's something I enjoy and wouldn't mind making money while teaching others and sharing the love and respect of the water as well.
How much money? It takes a bit of work to make minimum wage working for someone else. Remember if you are living/teaching in the US, you'll need to carry insurance for 7 years after you stop teaching. That is getting more and more expensive.

I found your post while searching for GI Bill options for myself. Have you used you MGIB yet for you Tec1 cert? How much was needed? Anything you learned that might be useful beforehand?

I used mine for tec 1, 2k used up but I didn't get the living stipend.

Just submit the form with the cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom