Getting to the Solomons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be going on the Bilikiki next May and the window to book my flights will open up in another few weeks. My plan is to arrive a day early into Honiara and spend the night before boarding the boat. I am looking at booking with Delta/Virgin Australia out of LAX. (Virgin Australia operates that flight). The flight would be a nonstop from LAX to BNE (Brisbane) and then on to Honiara (HIR) with Solomon Airlines.

I have been told that because there is no code share between VA and Solomon Airlines, I will need to clear customs in Brisbane, claim my bags, and recheck with Solomon Airlines. According to the current flight schedules, I would have 3:20 minutes to do so.

Does anyone know if this is doable?

Thanks.

From my experience in Brisbane airport I would think you might be cutting it a little close. 4/5 times you’d probably ok but the 5th you’d be cutting it a little close. Depends on what your cut off time for check in would be.

If the 3:20 is until the latest time you can check in then disregard the above, you’ll be fine.

The 3:20 is the time between scheduled arrival into BNE and the actual departure time from BNE on the Solomons airline flight.

I was thinking if I could clear customs and claim my bags in about 2 hours, I'd still have over an hour to check in with Solomon airlines and get to the gate.

That’s probably a little bit too shorter gap in my opinion.

Have you looked at qantas? I believe they do flights to Honiara so you could probably book right through from LAX with them.

American/Quantas is another option. Quantas operates the flight from LAX to BNE and they have a code share with Solomon Airlines. I just like the plane that Virgin Australia uses from LAX to BNE. The seats in coach are 2 inches wider than the seats on the Quantas flight. I also have enough miles with Delta to book the trip.

I used Fiji Airways last year. LAX to NAN in Fiji. 6 or 7 hour layover, then to HIR. This year we are doing SFO to NAN then to HIR a day later. This is also on Fiji Airways.

I have looked at Fiji Airways but they can't get you in a day early. They can get you in the day the boat is scheduled to leave the dock. I always like to arrive for liveaboards at least one day early.

I have been reading several reports this morning that said that you can typically clear customs in Brisbane in less than an hour. If that's the case then I think 3:20 would be OK assuming you arrival flight isn't late. I will continue to investigate but appreciate any feedback.

Update.

I have absolutely no idea what I was looking at when I first posted. The flight on Delta/Virgin Australia will leave LAX and get you into Brisbane at 5:30am. The Solomon Airline flight leaves BNE at 10:30am. So that would give me 5 hours which should be more than enough time to go thru customs and recheck on another airline.

According to their webpage, Virgin Australia still flies to Honoria from Brisbane on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom