Getting to the Solomons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to their webpage, Virgin Australia still flies to Honoria from Brisbane on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I saw that. We get on the boat on Saturday so I was going to arrive a day early on Friday but arriving two days early on Thursday might not be so bad either.

Last time I went, the airport was pretty much one building with no air conditioning. I was going to warn you about that as it got pretty toasty standing around to go through customs, but I note you live in NC, so pretty much same weather. :) Hope you get out to Mary's Island. There is a volcano about 50 mi away and you can hear and feel it in your chest underwater. Pretty neat.

I’ve made several trips to the Solomons, and while I try to arrive at most destinations a day or two early, I’ve never been overly fond of hanging around in Honiara. You might consider spending your extra day in transit in either Brisbane or Nadi, locations that I enjoy immensely. It’s been several years since I had the pleasure of sailing on Bilikiki, but in the past they’ve provided shuttle service between Henderson Field and the dock, and it was not unusual for many of their guests to arrive in Honiara on the day of embarkation. You might contact their office directly to see if this remains their practice, and they may be able to provide you with recommendations for local accommodations should you choose to spend a day or two in Honiara.

Thanks OceanEyes.

I've already talked with them. They will actually transfer you from the airport to a local hotel if you arrive within a couple of days of your departure and they have several hotels they recommend. My plan is to arrive on Friday before we board on Saturday. At most we would spend maybe 24 hours in Honiara before we board so hanging out at the local hotel and pool is fine by me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom