Getting to Catalina by Air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any comments or suggestions with regards to getting to Catalina from LA by either Helicopter or Plane? Just wanted to try something new. Thanks.

Island express flies the helo's.

I know they go out from San Pedro and probably other spots as well.

Not sure about plane service, but the airport is a ways from town anyhow.

they also fly from long beach, just beside the queen mary. They *might* also take you from the long beach airport too. This is where they base their aircraft at night.

has anybody actually used them? luggage/dive equipment weight restrictions? getting to town from heliport?

has anybody actually used them? luggage/dive equipment weight restrictions? getting to town from heliport?

I am almost certain that the fair includes a ride into town on their shuttle. the heli pad (pebbly beach) is about 1 mile east of Avalon. You should check directly with them about the baggage. I am sure they can arrange it for you though.

It never ceases to amaze me that 35 years ago we had air service from Catalina's Airport-in-the-Sky to LAX, Oxnard, Santa Barbara and other mainland destinations back when the population of the town was about 1,500. Golden West Airlines flew DeHavilland otters. I used to fly up to S.B. to see my then girlfriend since I didn't own a car on the mainland until 1976. Now, with a population of nearly 4,000 we have no such service.

Dr.Bill, I’m sure that like most things it is just economics. Current FAA rules, aircraft required maintenance and insurance costs for short hop, small air charters are so onerous that unless you are flying corporate executives, you could not afford to stay in business.

Geez, Dave... I'm a corporate executive. Of course the corporation barely earns a cent so they can't pay my travel expenses.

It really was nice to have that option.

John runs a nice operation in Island Express, so give it a try evilclown.

Back
Top Bottom