Question La Jolla vs Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx! Yes, I'll have all my own gear Stahlsac rolling bag for most stuff and my drysuit in it's own backpack.
Looks like we'll be looking for alternatives on Sunday as the dives just got cancelled for weather. Oh Well.
Hate to push, but any suggestions? I'm assuming if they have waves big enough to cancel a boat dive on the Yukon, shore dives will be out of the question.

BTW, appreciate the flag for Conception. I was on the sister boat Vision the week before the tragedy.

Hi Greg,

Nearest ferry to Avalon is from Dana Point, but the Long Beach ferry has more time slots available (I.e leaves earlier from Mainland, and has a later last boat back from Catalina).

You can reserve tanks/gear from Catalina Dive Supply and they will be right by the dive park. If you are bringing your own kit, you can either walk it or pay for a porter to haul it over. I’ve done both it’s a relatively short and flat walk but also nice to not deal with it. Porters will also usually store your gear at the end of the dive day for a reasonable fee so you can more easily grab a bite.

I normally use a rolling tool box type setup to transport gear on the ferry but whatever you have should work.

If possible try to time your dives so you don’t end at low tide. There can be a gap at the bottom of the stairs. It’s not a huge deal but it’s nicer when you swash onto the bottom platform.

Can’t think of anything else immediately but feel free to DM or whatever and can try and answer any other questions.

My buddy and I are going to come out from Vegas (I fly in Jan 31 and leave Feb 10) in early February to do some diving and take the Express over to Catalina. We are considering bringing our Blacktips and renting tanks while we're there - do you know if the ferry would have an issue with the scooters being assembled and just carried on by themselves, with no luggage? The hard case I'd buy to fly out with it is not going to be remotely within their luggage size limits even with them allowing us a 3rd bag. The other option I thought of was splitting a walmart duffel bag and just packing them in there with undergarments around the shrouds and handles LOL

Back
Top Bottom