Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And AA flies nonstop MIA to CUR for half that! AA jumped into the BON market because the market has a lack of competition and customers willing to pay a premium on this route.

Found it but no bargain. $910 R/T.

Your trip summary
Main Cabin

Round trip (Non-refundable)

$ 910 per person
Total $909.80 (all passengers)
Price and tax information , Opens in a new window.

Good value with benefits
  • Carry-on & personal item (access to overhead bin)
  • Choose your seat (fee may apply)
  • Eligible for upgrades on American flights
  • Flight changes allowed (fee applies)
  • General boarding
Includes taxes and carrier imposed fees.
Baggage and optional service fees , Opens in a new window.

Depart MIA to BON Miami, FL to Bonaire, Bes Islands Saturday, June 9, 2018
12:05 PM
3:13 PM
3h 8m
Nonstop
Nonstop
3h 8m
AA 1379 319-Airbus A319 Wifi on-board
Main Cabin
Return BON to MIA Bonaire, Bes Islands to Miami, FL Saturday, June 16, 2018
4:05 PM
7:15 PM
3h 10m
Nonstop
Nonstop
3h 10m
AA 1379 319-Airbus A319 Wifi on-board
Main Cabin

And I still have the cost and travel time from Albany to Miami. Thanks, but no thanks.

Its ridiculous. $910 to fly from MIA to the Bon when flights to other Caribbean islands are half to a third of that. Sadly it is likely the result of all of us divers willing to pay these outrageous airfares. Can't justify flying to Bon when CUR is half to a third of the price and the diving comparable. Another year we will be taking a pass on Bon.

For our dates in August--still $910. We already bought cheaper Delta tickys anyway! I am thinkin' that AA will be competitive by April-May; still high, but similar to Delta. Delta was $680. when we bought....

AA to Curacao and DiviDivi Air to Bon will almost certainly be less costly. But there is the not small hassel of doing security, immigration, desk to recheck and get boarding pass, more walking with luggage, etc.

Or maybe a future Jet Blue flight Ft Lauderdale to Bonaire. I continue to request this on JB's website! Join me!

I never thought that I would say this, but I miss ALM (Ah, the Luggage Man!) Airlines. In the old days, if you could get to Miami cheaply then you could fly ALM to Bonaire at a more reasonable price. Of course, your luggage frequently didn't make it at the same time (or day!) as you. I have many colorful stories to share about ALM, and I am sure that others have had interesting ALM experiences, too.

Like the time that we went to Curacao twice, on the same night, and we weren't even scheduled to go to Curacao at all. Or the time they diverted to Venezuela and the authorities hustled my poor husband off the plane as a possible criminal - he was quickly cleared but it was scary! And then there was the time that our flight home was cancelled due to mechanical problems and they gave us a room comp in a rundown hotel. After we checked in and went to our room, we unlocked the door and there was a German woman lying on the bed smoking!

So yeah, I wasn't sad to read about the demise of ALM - but at least they were a regular (sort of), better-priced (kind of) option for traveling to Bonaire!

Last edited:
Divi Divi Air news from today's Bonaire Reporter online--

Divi Divi Air is getting closer to serving Bonaire with its DHC-6 Twin-Otter aircraft. Ground crew at Flamingo Airport received training last week and the aircraft registered as PJ-DVD has received the air-worthiness certificate from the Civil Aviation Authority of Curaçao. The airline is popular with local people because of its punctuality and reliability. The 19-passenger Twin-Otter will augment the current 8-passenger Norman Islander planes. Additionally Divi Divi plans to resume regular flights to Aruba.

-- me again-As you may know, there are alternative ways to get to Bonaire. But there is a time and energy consuming change of airline in Curacao or possibly Aruba. Divi Divi has been reliable for many years and is worth considering......

Crazy pricing, it will be cheaper to fly fly to Jakarta than bonaire next year

We just got back from Bonaire. We had terrible service from Insel. Two and a half hours late from Aruba to Bonaire on the way there, who cares, we got there. On the other hand, two and a half hours late on the way back, we missed our nonstop back home and had to reschedule with a stop. Very poor communication, Insel sucks. Bonaire is wonderful, wish it was easier to get there and back

We just got back from Bonaire. We had terrible service from Insel. Two and a half hours late from Aruba to Bonaire on the way there, who cares, we got there. On the other hand, two and a half hours late on the way back, we missed our nonstop back home and had to reschedule with a stop. Very poor communication, Insel sucks. Bonaire is wonderful, wish it was easier to get there and back
Craig, it somehow it eluded me that you were going to be in Bonaire this month. We probably just missed each other. Bummer!

And I agree, Bonaire is wonderful and it is just a shame that it can be so difficult and expensive to get there for so many North Americans.

I have been very fortunate recently- 3x in the last 18 months - Coming from the West Coast with United Airlines and being SUPER selective with dates, I have been able to get reasonable airfare costs, when combined with the low cost of housing and diving on the island- it has worked for me. Also, I have been able to get there and back the same day with reasonable layovers in Houston.

For whatever reason, nearly all other Caribbean destinations from the West Coast (except Cozumel- ONLY if you go through Cancun) are 2 day affairs with over night layovers coming and going, which really eats into vacation time and cost--

I am starting to look at the Philippines and Fiji for future dive trips. I can get there quicker and easier from the West Coast than to most Caribbean destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom