Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?? Is there not still an EWR-BON nonstop on Saturdays, both directions? The UA site shows it....
Yes there is- Departs every Saturday morning at 9am and arrives BON @ 1:45pm
Then returns back each Saturday departing BON @ 2:45pm and arriving Newark @ 7:50pm
A random search of some dates in May 2018 resulted in a $618 RT fare for a 2 week trip - That being said, I also saw a 1 week trip in April that was $1100. So clearly, when you travel is critical.

upload_2017-11-28_19-47-31.png

I think my first Bonaire trip concluded with the final, ever non-stop Delta BON-JFK flight. I have never seen a JFK itinerary to BON since. We had to overnight in NYC before we caught our flight back to Minneapolis the following day but got a heck of a deal along with some wonderful pizza in Queens. The flight was wonderful as there were about 30 passengers on the 737 so we had a row a piece. Several years ago I got us a good fare from ORD to BON via IAH over the holiday week. That didn't work out too well as while we had a 4 hour layover in IAH our flight was 5 hours late and took off just as we landed. The only option was to fly to AMS the next afternoon and then back to BON via CUR. We went across the Atlantic twice in one day to get to a location in the Caribbean. At least we were on KLM on the way back. That is a proper airline!

?? Is there not still an EWR-BON nonstop on Saturdays, both directions? The UA site shows it....

Yep - $880 with all the hasstles of getting to and from Newark. Add beaucoup bucks for gas, tolls, parking, hotel, etc. not to mention the pita of driving to Newark - adds up to $1,200-$1,400 or more real fast. Adding a flight to Newark from Albany, NY doesn't seem to be possible because when you do it adds a Huston connection in one or both directions.

Clearly the solution is to move closer to Newark :wink: Oh wait, better yet, move to Bonaire!!

LOL - I'd shoot myself before moving to Newark (or moving at all). As far as moving to Bonaire - it's a wonderful place to visit. Live there - not so much.

I think my first Bonaire trip concluded with the final, ever non-stop Delta BON-JFK flight. I have never seen a JFK itinerary to BON since. We had to overnight in NYC before we caught our flight back to Minneapolis the following day but got a heck of a deal along with some wonderful pizza in Queens. The flight was wonderful as there were about 30 passengers on the 737 so we had a row a piece. Several years ago I got us a good fare from ORD to BON via IAH over the holiday week. That didn't work out too well as while we had a 4 hour layover in IAH our flight was 5 hours late and took off just as we landed. The only option was to fly to AMS the next afternoon and then back to BON via CUR. We went across the Atlantic twice in one day to get to a location in the Caribbean. At least we were on KLM on the way back. That is a proper airline!

Oh man, that brings back bad memories!!! We were booked on delta bon-jfk and we found out the night before that they were merging the bon-atl with the bon-jfk flight! And of course there were no connections to get from atl to jfk so they were booking people on multiple hops to get to jfk. Were were supposed to go to Pittsburg. We got to Atlanta and refused to go on so they gave us a room and we flew out in the am. What a mess.

Actually none of those work anymore. No direct flights out of Newark or JFK and the going and return trip is still through Huston & sometimes Chicago to Newark - 20+ hours. And, the cost is the same from NYC factoring in driving (which sux), hotel (which sux), and/or bus/train (which sux).......................
Do I understand you correctly? There are direct flights from EWR to BON. We are going in Jan, returning in Feb. Just checked March and there are flights then, too. But the prices are more than double those of last year.

From the Dec. Bonaire Reporter
American Airlines service from MIA to BON was confirmed last Friday. The connection was thought to be in danger because of threatened budget cuts to the TCB. As of press time the schedule was not yet on the American Airlines website.

If American Airlines is returning to Bonaire, they are not sharing the news. I can't book flights on Kayak or AA's website to BON (looking in June). There is nothing in their newsroom about an agreement, either. I'm no airline expert, but I would also think it would be a little odd to start up service in June, then temporarily discontinue service two months later. I would love to have another option from Delta. I don't dislike Delta, but the lack of competition keeps the price exceptionally high.
Said to be available for booking now.
American adds Miami – Bonaire service from June 2018

Found it but no bargain. $910 R/T.

Your trip summary
Main Cabin

Round trip (Non-refundable)

$ 910 per person
Total $909.80 (all passengers)
Price and tax information , Opens in a new window.

Good value with benefits
  • Carry-on & personal item (access to overhead bin)
  • Choose your seat (fee may apply)
  • Eligible for upgrades on American flights
  • Flight changes allowed (fee applies)
  • General boarding
Includes taxes and carrier imposed fees.
Baggage and optional service fees , Opens in a new window.

Depart MIA to BON Miami, FL to Bonaire, Bes Islands Saturday, June 9, 2018
12:05 PM
3:13 PM
3h 8m
Nonstop
Nonstop
3h 8m
AA 1379 319-Airbus A319 Wifi on-board
Main Cabin
Return BON to MIA Bonaire, Bes Islands to Miami, FL Saturday, June 16, 2018
4:05 PM
7:15 PM