Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngusNJ

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
appears that to get to Bonaire, you must take Continental red eye from Newark (no thanks), take AA through San Juan, or fly through Curacao or Aruba. it looks like the best option for me will be to go through Curacao. is Dutch Antilles Express the only way to get to Bonaire from there?

As mentioned previously, Divi Divi also flies out of Curacao in addition to DAE. The interisland flights usually have even more restrictive luggage rules than the majors so check on these before you go. I think DAE is around 44 pounds per bag and Divi may be about the same as they fly the really small planes.

Not sure about from there, but from our side, the timing through San Juan means a long boring 5-7 hr. layover as the flight to Bonaire doesn't leave till after 5PM. Wish I lived in NJ, I"d be on the red-eye,

Another good thing about the red-eye is you get there in time to eat breakfast, then go through the morning BMP orientation so you can be diving by 10 or 11am. Otherwise you'd have to wait for the 2pm(at Buddy's) or next morning most other places...

Personally I'm all for direct flights, playing around with the Divi or DAE weight restrictions and making another flight is just not something I'd want to do. Plane size flying over open ocean is a factor for me also.

i'm really not sure why Continental made it a red-eye. 4 1/2 hrs just isn't enough time for an "overnight" flight. you'd be lucky to get 2 hours of sleep, which would take me a couple of days to recover from. i'm flying continental from Newark, but would rather travel during the day and take Divi from Curacao.

AngusNJ:
i'm really not sure why Continental made it a red-eye. 4 1/2 hrs just isn't enough time for an "overnight" flight. you'd be lucky to get 2 hours of sleep, which would take me a couple of days to recover from. i'm flying continental from Newark, but would rather travel during the day and take Divi from Curacao.

we are taking air jamaica out of JFK to montego bay-bonaire ,1 hr layover in MO Bay--depart 7:55 am saturday arrive 2:30pm...I have a group going so should be able to get marine park orientation done and start dives same day..pm if interested..

Depending on where you are located in Jersey you might check out Air Jamaica flights going out of Philly. I just got back from Bonaire myself, and it's not all that bad. I'm located in Harrisburg, Pa. We left Philly at 7:30am and got to Bonaire at 3:30pm with a 1:30 layover in Montego Bay. On the way back we left Bonaire at 4:10pm and got back to Philly at 9:30pm with less than an hour layover in Montego Bay. And the best part is that our luggage got home with us. OH, and they serve a hot meal along the way. Nothing to call home about but better than a little bag of peanuts.

Don't know how most folks arrange things but many of my group often drive to the airport the night before and get a hotel with parking for the week. Hotel shuttle drops you right at the door of the terminal. It alleviates the hassle of traffic and possible traffic tie-ups. And you get a decent night's sleep close by. Depending on which hotel you pick the cost is about $125, which includes parking for the week. Now considering that parking at the airports cost $75 for the week that cuts the cost of the room to about $50. And when you get back the shuttle picks you up at the terminal and drops you back at the hotel.

Just some food for thought.

i think i'm setting going through Curacao on Continental and taking Divi from there to Bonaire. it was the only way i could use frequent flier miles, and at least i don't have any US connections.

Not sure where you are in NJ, but another option is USAir to Aruba from Philly. They have a 7:30 am Sat flight that arrives in Aruba at 12:50. But I just checked prices & it is a $1,000 flight!! I've been able to use ff miles in the past. I'll be on that AJ flight bfisher mentioned on 2/3. I agree with the drive in the night before - PA/NJ traffic is notorious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom