Getting to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakathie.. Right on!! As I indicated above, we've been traveling to Bonaire for 20 years & I've had my share of horror stories to tell on various airlines.
So if anyone reading these postings has the opportunity to take the Continental non-stop out of Houston or Newark & doesn't avail themselves of the opportunity they have only themselves to blame! I'll wish them a lot of luck!

flying interisland airlines in the ABC's

If you are not familiar with and tolerant of "island time" the leisurely pace and orientation toward life in the Carib don't use them.

I did and got to Bonaire late at night with no way to contact my pickup, who was told the previous flight was the last of the night. Quess they changed their mind Apparently I was lucky to get there at all that night. In 35 years of flying, that was the first trip where my bags beat me to the destination. They got booked on the previous flight, I did not because I failed to inform the local office in Aruba 24-hours in advance that I would be on the flight, despite having informed the airline in Miami.

The local island people were great in getting me out of my predicament, both in getting on a flight and finding my off the path accommodations. It turned out to be a pretty neat party. The airline folks were understanding and cheerful.

anyone who has flown american eagle in California has been handled the same way but not treated half as nice.

Ok, I'll chime in...

We get a lot of people on the red-eye from Continental. It is a rough flight, but this is what i suggest to our guests and it seems to work well for them:

After arriving and getting to your accommodation if you can get to your room right away, DON'T go back to sleep. Usually by the time you get your luggage, rental vehicle, get to the resort, check in, etc. It is usually around 7am. Check to see if you can get breakfast, eat a little something, then unpack, get your gear ready and do your orientation. Most dive shops will open around 8am, so you should be fine. Your first time in the water! Relax a little then take a nap for no more than 3 hours. Get up shower and do an afternoon dive, relax, have dinner and go to bed early, around 8:30 or 9:00. You will have gotten a full dive in and an orientation dive your first day, and will feel refreshed the very next day!

Regarding interisland flights...living on Bonaire we use them often. DAE has actually gotten a lot better than they used to be. You do however have to make a stop in Curacao, but normally you do not have to get off the plane. Divi is excellent from Curacao, they don't fly from Aruba, but their last flight to Bonaire is 5pm. I would have to say that the Continental flight to Curacao is the best alternative if you don't want to do the red eye, just be sure that you have at least 1.5 hours minimum between your arrival to Curacao and then your depature to Bonaire. They have a lot of large capacity flights leaving in the afternoons from Curacao to other destinations, and they only have one x-ray machine in security. Just a couple of weeks ago we had to do some shopping in Curacao. We had a 5pm Divi flight checked in at 3:15 pm, spent almost 1 hour in line to get through security....good thing Divi only boards 15-20 minutes prior to departure. We barely had time to breath....

Liz

Liz:
Thank you for the info. Now the tricky part- am I correct in thinking that if I fly into Aruba, I need to a) fly to Curacao, and then b) another leg to Bonaire?
Or do you know of any flights directly from AUA--> BON? I love Curacao and all, but I'd rather avoid it if I can- too many transfers to worry about.
Please advise.
Thanks.

AngusNJ:
appears that to get to Bonaire, you must take Continental red eye from Newark (no thanks), take AA through San Juan, or fly through Curacao or Aruba. it looks like the best option for me will be to go through Curacao. is Dutch Antilles Express the only way to get to Bonaire from there?

Depends where you are starting from :)

From Europe we would fly KLM direct into Bonaire.
I know there is also connection via Miami .. but greatly increases flight times.

You can now fly Arkefly from Amsterdam to Bonaire see http://www.arkefly.com/arkefly/search/searchFlight.do

Good to see competition to bring prices down. Not so useful for us Brits as KLM gives us the flight to Amsterdam for free and we would probably need to overnight in Amsterdam.

I have to laugh at people moaning about the Continental red eye getting in about 6am when we usually arrive around 4am with KLM.

db, sorry for the delayed response...which is a yes, but with a no...

There are no direct flights AUA-BON. What happens is that you get on a DAE in Aruba, land in Curacao, you stay on the plane, they off and on load and you then got to Bonaire. We have done it many times, and it is fine. You don't have to get off the plane.

Liz

Bosun:
You can now fly Arkefly from Amsterdam to Bonaire see http://www.arkefly.com/arkefly/search/searchFlight.do

Good to see competition to bring prices down. Not so useful for us Brits as KLM gives us the flight to Amsterdam for free and we would probably need to overnight in Amsterdam.

Wasn't aware of that ... good news as this might bring KLM prices down as long as no cartel holds the price.

I'll take a look when I am reday to book .. plenty of cheap flight £18 to Amsterdam, so could be worthwhile.

I thought there was a direct flight from IAH to BON, but for the life of me I can't find it. Does it still exist or have they cancelled it????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom