Getting Suited Up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoPainNoGain

Reaction score
This board is great -- I'm amazed at all of the helpful advice I have received. Now that all that advice was able to get me over the hump and towards diving regularly, I have another request for advice.

I have had trouble with faulty gear and I wanted to look into buying gear, especially if I will be doing this regularly.

Does anyone have advice for what to buy (especially for a woman) and how much I should be looking to spend?

I already have my 3mm wetsuit and though I may get a 7mm soon, I am looking more for the BC, regulator, etc side of things.

(One shop I went to was trying to screw me (money-wise) so I don't want to pay something exorbitantly high)

Thanks again!

NP/NG,
Have a look at ScubaToys.com or Leisurepro.com.
You'll be amazed at the savings you can find.

the K

NoPainNoGain:
This board is great -- I'm amazed at all of the helpful advice I have received. Now that all that advice was able to get me over the hump and towards diving regularly, I have another request for advice.

I have had trouble with faulty gear and I wanted to look into buying gear, especially if I will be doing this regularly.

Does anyone have advice for what to buy (especially for a woman) and how much I should be looking to spend?

I already have my 3mm wetsuit and though I may get a 7mm soon, I am looking more for the BC, regulator, etc side of things.

(One shop I went to was trying to screw me (money-wise) so I don't want to pay something exorbitantly high)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables in this equation, not the least of which is how often you will ge diving, in what kind of conditions, what your ultimate dive goals are and how much you want to spend.

Once you establish those we may be able to help. :D

Take care,

I'm not sure how often I will be diving, but it probably won't be that many times each year (unfortunately). When I do get to go, it will be primarily in the PA/NY (and general northeast) area, with a few dives each year while on vacation (Cabo San Lucas this year, for example).

I'd like to be able to dive often during the summer, and if I can buy my gear, it will make it a lot easier, as rental costs rack up quickly.

I really have no idea how much I want to spend. Less than $1500 definitely, but I don't know what the price range would be.

Thanks,

Larry has packages on his site at scubatoys.com..check those out...i'm sure he can tailor them to suit you if you call him as well..

I would be a little careful of some of the internet deals as they may not come assembled. It is certainly more cost effective to buy your own gear and you have the benefit of knowing where it has been and how it is treated. You might also hook up with a local LDS that will let you try out gear and find what you like and then buy a piece at a time. I started with my regulator and went from there.

I dive in alaska and also make a yearly trip to the warm carribean waters. I dive the following setup: Apeks ATX50 w/ the DS4 first stage(nice reg at an affordable price) Suunto Vyper computer a bit pricey can do nitrox, has a backlight for night dives and you can download your profile to a computer. Because I am a full figured woman who has a hard time finding stock items to fit, I use Dive Rite steel backplate with rec wings for my BC. They are cost effective, fit practically anyone, and you get to take 6lbs off your weight belt. However I would recommend that you try one in the pool to make sure you like it before you buy one. It is not for everyone.

My daughter dives: Reg - Apeks 50, BC- seaquest pro qd and just loves it. It has integrated pockets and you can place your weight in several areas on the bc. Dive computer is a Suunto Gekko and console which is not as pricey as the vyper. No backlight and can't download it to a computer but it is easily readable under water and quite affordable.

Good luck.

NoPainNoGain:

Thanks again!

For the components you are looking at I'd visiit several other local dive shops and find one that makes sense for you. The $$ you save online can be quicly lost is shipping back and forth, lost dives while gear is away, simple tweaks you local seller can do on the spot and a host of other stuff. You should not have to pay full list anywhere especially when buying asuite of components. . If you know what you want or have a general idea then educate yourself on some of the websites mentioned above. Challenge the locals to compete, the gap may become very close or even better. From what you say you have and need your budget should be more than adequate.

I aplaud your decision to become an active local diver. An active diver can't help but be better and safer.

Pete

I'd advise you to spend a bunch of time trying on as many BC's as you can find before you buy anything. Do NOT go with the advice of anyone anywhere unless you've actually tried the BC on, and even better, used it in the water (a pool is fine).

I made the mistake of buying a SeaQuest Diva right after I got certified, based on the advice of a good friend and reviews I read on the net. We went to Key Largo soon after I bought my gear (got my regs/computer from ScubaToys), and spent the time getting to know my gear and getting comfortable with it. My Diva never quite felt right/good, but it wasn't "bad", so I didn't really think much about it. Later that year, we took a cruise and dove in the Caribbean and I quickly realized how badly the Diva fit me, how uncomfortable it was, and how much I really hated it.

I decided to sell my Diva on e-bay and look for something else. I went to all the LDSs in my area and tried on every BC that they carried, until I hit upon the Zeagle Zena. Once I put it on I realized this BC was made for my type of body and I knew it was the one. I bought last year's model (on sale) from ScubaToys and spent 10 days diving with it in Maui (a couple of weeks ago). I LOVE MY ZENA!! It fits me like a custom made BC, the 100% back inflate/wing is the best for buoyancy and trim, it doesn't ride up on the shoulders when you're on the surface, and basically it is perfect for me.

I am not recommending that you buy a Zena....I'm recommending that you try it, along with the Diva, and every other women's BC you can find until you find the one for YOU.

Back
Top Bottom