Getting started with UW photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLSanford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I need some advice on how to get started with underwater photography. I really have no idea where to begin, but I know I want to get a digital camera that is easy to use, both in tropical water and with cold water gloves on. I don't have a particular brand in mind, and of course I don't want to spend a fortune getting started!
Any ideas? Thanks!

Depends on what you think of as a fortune. Most folks just starting out can go the digital P&S route. At the low end of that spectrum in terms of dollars are the systems that have a $250 camera and a $180 housing. Canon Powershots and Olympus tough system for example. So for under $500 you can get a pretty nice topside camera and a housing. For $400 you can get a Sealife DC 800 which is OK underwater but not so nice for topside IMHO.
So tell us your budget and we can make recommendations going up from there. For $1000 you can get a current state of the art P&S (G11 and Canon Housing and single strobe) system that will let you grow quite a bit.

Bill

Hello KLSanford,

Welcome to the never boring, sometimes frustrating world of UW photography!! To start off with, before even looking at equipment, I would look to take a course with an UW Photo Instructor. There you will be introduced to some of the concepts and techniques needed to see where your specific interests lie.

As to equipment, two basic ways to go, (a) a point and shoot or (b) a DSLR. The point and shoots will get you started with a lot less cash for a set up but by and large are more limited in their capability than the DSLR's. You might find that for what you want to shoot you need full manual control, interchangeable lenses and varying amounts of strobe power. This is where the DSLR shines.

If you start out with the point and shoot variety, from my experience Sealife gives a good quality set up with camera, housing and strobe all packaged together. Good image quality, built in u/w color correction and really good customer service.

Alternatively you could look at cameras from Nikon, Canon etc and then a separate housing from another company. Fantasea makes good housings for many models. Ikelite makes great housings that will allow TTL (if the camera supports it) and many options for strobes etc.

Hope this helps a bit. Please ask any other questions that you may have.

Hank

Welcome!!

Please also check out the master Sticky at the top of the UW Photography area - you can click the Pink Link in my signature to go straight there. Inside is a huge compilation of information that our excellent members have contributed and there are some great starting points for you including links to various options in a variety of brands.

Looking forward to seeing more of you!

Thanks for the info.... Sounds like I have a lot to learn about cameras! The Sealife was also recommended by our LDS, so I will do a little more research on that particular one. It sounds like it would be good for beginners and also in my budget.
Thanks again to all who responded to my questions.

Hi KLSanford, welcome to UW photo. Be warned that UW photography is a black hole that will suck every resource out of your wallet :). However, the enjoyment of taking pictures is great. I own a Sea&Sea camera that takes great pictures. I own the DX-1G and it is compact, can be used in a point and shoot mode as well as a manual mode. You can click on my photos link under my name to the left to see a few. I would buy a camera that has simple point and shoot capabilities as well as a manual option. The longer you take pictures, the more control you will want to have over your shots and a manual option allows you that control.

I would also agree with Hank's comment that you should take a couple of UW photo courses. I took the PADI course through my LDS but also took a couple of online courses that were great. Here is a link to the web site: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos. I took the Introduction to Digital Underwater Photography course and the Digital Workflow & Image Manipulation for Underwater Photography course and I really learned a lot. Marty and Bonnie are always available to answer your questions via email. I sent Marty an email regarding a question I had and he asked me to give him a call because he didn't think he could address the question effectively by email.

The other suggestion I have is ensure you have excellent buoyancy skills. It is difficult to try and focus on a fish or coral head while battling currents. My last advice is don't be discouraged if your first pics are not what you expected. The more experience you have the better your pictures will turn out.

Regards,

Bill

Old school here. I have large framed UW photos on the walls of my home. They are photos taken by myself and my son. They are back from the day when film was the technology, there was no auto focus, and digital was on the horizon.

My tip: It is all about the light. Always has been. Always will be.

Here is a photo of a scorpion fish I captured with an old film camera in 2008. Taken offshore Jupiter Florida. If you look closely you can see the problems generated with fixed focus.

682953-R1-045-21_024.jpg

KL,

I would have to agree with Lee about the light. You will want to invest in one strobe for your camera regardless of what kind.

As for the type of camera, I started the SeaLife route and learned a lot but regretted not having gone with a camera that had full control of shutter speed and aperture from the get go. I learned 10x more with the Olympus C5050 which allowed me to experiment with the full range of options. Without this control, the P&S that does the thinking for you, will decide what the best exposure should be. More often than not, it will go for slower shutter speeds and wider apertures which result in blurred movement (yours and the subjects) and for washed out colors. With control you will be able to adjust for richer colors and crisper shots with faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures.

Hope that helps with the decision making.

Nick

Lee's right, ALL photography is about light, after all that is what we really see. In underwater photography, it's taken to a whole new level. Because you are almost always having to add to what is available and placement of that added light is the difference between a good shot and and "oops!" Sure apreture, shutter speed and ISO come into play, but it is all based on light.

If at all possible, on vacation or there at home, rent a camera, or two or three, do a test drive, not only to give you a benchmark at what to look for when you finally purchase, but also to see if it really is what you want to do before dropping a couple big ones on equipment.

Even if you don't buy the exact camera you rent, it can give you a feel for what you like and don't like.

I started out renting, (digitally), the Sea&Sea DX-series from Island Photo on Cozumel, and got instruction from Holly on how to use the camera as well as shooting tips that have become invaluable.

Eventually bought the S&S DX-5000 from them and recently moved up to the DX-2G. although I haven't got it wet yet.:shakehead: (NOTE:almost all underwater photos, and many of the topside photos on my website were taken with the DX-5000)

I like the small size of the compact camera and rig, much less cumbersom and heavy as a DSLR rig, when not shooting, which isn't often, I can lay it in the crook of my arm and it is well out of the way

Although if the budget ever allows, I will most likely house my D200, or subsequent DSLR's someday. I have been very happy with the results I have made so far.

Another tip: Get good at Photoshop, Gimp or some kind of photo software...you're gonna need it :D

Back
Top Bottom