Getting frustrated / purchasing suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys looking for some input on what to do.
Approximately a year and a half ago , purchased a Sony a6500 with hopes of getting my toes into underwater photography. Had planned to save and buy the housing / strobes etc when I could.
Life happened and toys got postponed and now that I’m getting ready to purchase the rest of the gear nauticam has discontinued my cameras housing ..

I haven’t used my camera a lot but I like it and not necessarily wanting to get rid of it as it’s small enough to not be a burden to carry in my pack on camping trips

There are housings for the 6600 but I don’t want to sell my camera just to buy a newer version of the same… seems redundant but may be what I have to do.

I’m not invested heavily in the Sony ecosystem and if I’m having to start over; I’m willing to purchase a dedicated underwater setup. But now that I’m having to “start over “ I am going to have to piece it together again.

Do I go with Canon, almost purchased a Fujifilm XT series camera before the Sony .. do I upgrade to the a7V , or a Nikon,
I think I want to stay relatively compact…

Suggestions appreciated

There is a Nauticam 6500 housing right now on eBay, and a bunch of SeaFrogs housings as well.There is also a S&S housing. Lots of choices
Bill

What’s an affordable camera to take to 50M?
the DJI Osomo Action 3 (out of production but still available for $329), and a 60m case ($79 at B&H).

but at that depth- not sure you'll have enough natural light.

you said affordable.

I use the SeaFrogs SaltedLine for my A6500, it has audible and visual leakage alarms and I do a vacuum test before every dive but still don't feel all that safe in it. I did about 50-70 dives with it. You get what you pay for.

Let me know if you want to see pictures.

I use the SeaFrogs SaltedLine for my A6500, it has audible and visual leakage alarms and I do a vacuum test before every dive but still don't feel all that safe in it. I did about 50-70 dives with it. You get what you pay for.
FWIW, my A6300 in a SeaFrogs housing is still alive after over 300 dives. I use a Leak Sentinel V5 XB, and it has saved me from a user-error caused flood several times. Major advantage over SeaFrogs' own vacuum valve is that it can be taken underwater without releasing the vacuum.

If you didn't get the Nauticam housing off ebay then maybe contact Nauticam to see if they can make you one - if the housings are CNC machined then they will still have the file to machine one.

You should be able to find that Nauticam housing on the secondary market. Someone will be upgrading and selling their old one. I found my discontinued Nauticam housing right here in the classifieds. So, it can be done if you have time to hunt some.

Back
Top Bottom