Getting noticed as dive guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LPA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A lot of dive guides use bright colored fins, masks etc. or paint markings on their gear to be easily noticed by the group. However, I wonder if anyone uses more removable markings to be seen. Swimming around looking like a traffic cone is great when DMing, but I'd prefer to be able to easily revert back to ninja black when doing my own fun dives.
I'm considering trying some reflective velcro ankle straps that runners use or maybe find some bright colored tank sleeves. Any other ideas? :)

Best one I have seen was a hood with a rooster mohawk on it it was noticeable without being intrusive.

oversized neon yellow shirt or sleeves work too

I wear the same thing when I'm DMing as I do when I'm fun diving. A twinset, black drysuit, black fins, and blue drygloves. I have yet to lose a group of students during any of the guided portions of a dive. The trick is to not take off like a rocket, slow and steady every time.

Great option is to take a torch (flashlight)
Makes a great pointer, and makes you instantly visible to your group especially when the vis is less than ideal.
It should be pretty obvious you are the leader anyway as you will be the only member of the group swiming backwards watching the other divers ;-)

White Gaffa (duct tape) on the fins I also have Solas Reflective tape on all my cylinders. But as @rivers says "The trick is to not take off like a rocket, slow and steady every time"

I do the different colour gear but I also have been collecting little pen lights. Here is an example:
I usually check out the clearance bins at scuba shops. Found some red, a green and a blue light.

I've seen a lot of goofy hoods, but much better is fins that are light-colored. they can been seen at the edge of viz, ore even slightly further, whereas a lot of the schemes only allow you to pick out the guide from others. At night, the best trick I've seen is for the guide to use TWO lights.

I had a DM with Hollis F1 fins with the yellow tips. Those made him very easy to pick out - especially when following him.

Back
Top Bottom