getting new gear what do I test for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I have new gear coming to me this coming week... this is what I'm getting.

New wrist computer...
New BC...
new reg...
new octo...
new analog gauges...
new clips and retractors...

please let m know what I should test for right out of the box... They are coming alreay assebled...so what do I look for? tigh connections ect...? this is my first set up. also, after testing it out of the water I am planning some pool dives. Please lay out a list of stuff for me to do while in the pool... I want to test th equipment an also me. :D are there specific tests that I should run on a BC? on a reg? ect. thanks

The basic function checks you learned in your basic class should be just fine for the initial function checks.

Make sure you can run the computer with your gloves and that you can read it all with your mask underwater.

Make sure the alternate second is not prone to free flow.

Get someone to do a bubble check on the whole shebang.

Other than that I'd just put it all through its paces and see if it works for you. Be sure to wear your maximum exposure protection for this exercise since it will best challenge you mobility and access to features.

Is this stuff coming bought and paid for or do have the option of rejecting items that do not suit you?

Pete

Make sure you can run the computer with your gloves and that you can read it all with your mask underwater.

Make sure the alternate second is not prone to free flow.

Get someone to do a bubble check on the whole shebang.

Other than that I'd just put it all through its paces and see if it works for you. Be sure to wear your maximum exposure protection for this exercise since it will best challenge you mobility and access to features.

Is this stuff coming bought and paid for or do have the option of rejecting items that do not suit you?

Pete

yes its B&P but I have 14 days to exchange ect.... as you know I wont be diving in cold water so my exposure protections will be a shorty no gloves. can you elaborate on bubble count? I know the bubbles need to be champagne size but what do you mean?

do you mean the BC bubble check? thanks

can you elaborate on bubble count? I know the bubbles need to be champagne size but what do you mean?

do you mean the BC bubble check? thanks

I mean having someone check all over for leakage bubbles after you have been down for a while. Trapped air may be escaping from the BC padding and such for a while so let it all get saturated. Nothing should be escaping from seams or anywhere else on the BC. The other BC test is to inflate it (power or oral) and lest it stand overnight. I'd expect a new BC to remain firm.

The regulator and all hoses should have no leaks either. You mention the champagne size bubbles, did you get a Sherwood? If so then yes a small stream of fizzy bubbles will be escaping from the black check valve plug in the 1st stage.

To do all of this right eight have another diver in with you or get out of your rig down in the deep end and examine it yourself. Wear a weight belt, it will be a bear if you are integrated.

Pete

The big obvious one is how it all fits you, especially the BC. In the end you need to know that you comfortably dive the configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom