Getting into semi closed rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think 16 is too young for starting rebreather diving. That is about how old I was when I started. But as previous posters stated, you MUST have the right instructor. My instructor was a former Navy SEAL instructor and a certified SCUBA sport instructor.

Some of the things you do almost subconsciously with OC is unexpectedly different in RB diving.

Glad you mentioned that. It's those subtle differences that make RB instruction/training for younger folks that much more risky. Additionally, scuba training standards try to make this niche accessible by balancing risk and market share. I personally don't agree with the starting ages of suggested by most instructional agencies. Especially, in this niche of diving. I remember years ago when they tried some "scuba wonders" program for little kids, only to rescind the program after some kid croaked. It eerily paralleled some aspects of the world's youngest flyer who recently died.

Having trained kids in introductory RB classes, and worked with them for decades I am more than happy to let them get certified at a later age. As a FYI - teaching younger divers places a higher liability upon the instructor. Namely, a higher standard of care. This effectively means that should a kid get injured while diving you (as an instructor) are liable (for life) in many jurisdictions. Who needs that? Additionally, teens are developmentally different mentally and physically than say a 25 yr. old. Personally, I don't trust young adults to make the best decisions.

While we might enthusiastically encourage someone to learn as early as possible, (just because we love RB's or because we think we can) I am more than happy to say get certified later because having seen the sport emerge many years ago, and witnessed the ensuing fatalities that followed (with adults) I am happy to encourage them when they have a range of hard-diving skills (psychomotor) under their belt and some range of muscular development...especially for the waters of NJ where the conditions are sometimes anything but benign.

So, I don't care what RB (MCCR/ECCR/SCR) any young-un' can afford...it's get experience UW first, find someone who cares enough to see a young techie through to adulthood and instill a attitude/hard skills which would make them a wary RB diver. All too easy to get hurt on these things.

X

all of my dives i have ever done have been in new jersey. i know this does not qualify me to dive ccr. i do think this does give me better training because all my dives have been in deep, low viz, and cold dives.

Last edited:
all of my dives i have ever done have been in new jersey. i know this does not qualify me to dive ccr. i do think this does give me better training because all my dives have been in deep, low viz, and cold dives.

That is funny, I thought being a cave diver and having dove predominantly caves (high flow, low flow, silty and small stuff) would make a better trained diver.......:wink:

It all depends on where/what type you intend to dive. If I would put you in a cave, you would be challenged. Just as I would be challenged in deep, dark and cold waters. It is relative.

Can you elaborate about the problems with the Dragar Ray, please?

There is a good article by cyphercube on ebay about the Ray - access the scuba section, type in "rebreather" in the search box, and some rebreather advice articles will be listed on the left side. Click on one and you can get the whole list to see the article on the Ray.

I've dived both the Dolphin and the Ray - in fact, I own two Rays - and I heartily dislike both. I don't like the inherent problem with SCRs of varying loop volume producing variable buoyancy and breathing resistance, and the Dolphin in the only rebreather that has even given me a caustic cocktail. That is sufficiently unpleasant and dangerous for me to hope that you never experience it. Some drills are deliberately experienced during training - not this.

Back
Top Bottom