Getting into semi closed rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southjerseydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey everyone, alittle background info. i am 16 have been diving since i was 13 and dive in new jersey. i have logged alittle over 100 dives and really want to get into rebreathers. diving in jersey is cold and i would love to dive a SCR. my question is do you think it is a good idea, if anyone is intrested im looking towards the drager dolphin

hey everyone, alittle background info. i am 16 have been diving since i was 13 and dive in new jersey. i have logged alittle over 100 dives and really want to get into rebreathers. diving in jersey is cold and i would love to dive a SCR. my question is do you think it is a good idea, if anyone is intrested im looking towards the drager dolphin

We'll you're the right starting age for SCR training. Under IANTD standards you can train on CCR starting at 17 yrs. That being said, most of the teens whom I've introduced to rebreathers love the CCR from the get-go. Having a nitrox cert. is a good starting point prior to SCR/CCR training.

Best with your investigation into CCR's. As per NJ diving - a drysuit helps a lot during the months of September - June.

X

The dolphin is really antiquated and basically been discontinued.

1) I would wait (age-wise) and get more open circuit experience, 100 dives with ~30dives/year isn't much. 2) Spend your money on training, travel and life experiences not gear. 3) I would look at more modern RBs than the Dolphin including CCR 4) Mr. X is right about a drysuit and argon.

i already use a diverite 905 backzip but have yet to try out argon. i would love a CCR but arnt those 100 times more complex and expensive

i already use a diverite 905 backzip but have yet to try out argon. i would love a CCR but arnt those 100 times more complex and expensive

There is an old joke about a well-known CCR diver and a Scottish boat Captain who switched his argon for air. The CCR diver came up from a deep dive extolling the virtues of argon only to see a boat full of guys laughing at his expense. That being said, there is nothing like a nice looking girlfriend ready to serve you a hot cup of cocoa whilst using air.

Again, all the teens who tried out CCR with me loved it from the beginning vs. the SCR. They found the CCR easier to breathe from, less bubble noise. It didn't hurt that I also gave them a lesson on SCR vs. CCR before. Also, if you are diving NJ most of the guys have all migrated to CCR. As suggested by Rjack get more time under your belt as there is no rush, or true need to get qualified as a 16 yr. old SCR, or 17 yr. old CCR diver. There are enough stories out there about older guys biting it on CCR's. Seen a lot of that off a famous NJ expedition boat.

X

PS - Do not even consider the Drager Ray. One of my 18 yr old students was hot on this bag of nothing.

yea. im not really in a rush to get into CCR yet and i dont have the money. i have saved up around $7,000. im thinking of diving my bp/w with my single tank for a while untill i have the money and the number of dives. whats a good CCR for someone looking to get into them. i was thinking of the diverite O2ptima FX. any thoughts, im just starting my research now so i can be a informed buyer then.

I hate SCRs - nasty things, with your buoyancy constantly changing and your loop forcing gas into your lungs. I'd skip them totally and go straight to a CCR.

IMO the Optima is a good machine and is relatively affordable. But don't forget that you will need a training course to be allowed to purchase one - best look for an instructor who will give you an inclusive package at a good price. If you don't know of any then either post here or ask DiveRite for their recommendations.

I've owned several Inspirations and I can't recommend them. Too flakey in their construction.

I would examine the dives you are currently doing, and those you aspire to, and lastly your "personality" as a diver. All that takes time, dives, and life experience.

Then choose a unit based on those 3 characteristics. If you can't afford "the" unit with the best trainer, then stick with OC until you can or until a different suitable unit is available.

Personally I think the reEvo is very nice, also the Kiss, and I find the RB80 appealing in a minimalistic no sensor kinda way. But I'm not interested in RBs for my diving, for now and the forseeable future I don't need one.

the shop near me has a few great instructors. they also have very informative seminars, including some by Dan Martinez, and richie kohler and his wife. they sell the optima, and all of the silent diving rebreathers.

yea. im not really in a rush to get into CCR yet and i dont have the money. i have saved up around $7,000. im thinking of diving my bp/w with my single tank for a while untill i have the money and the number of dives. whats a good CCR for someone looking to get into them. i was thinking of the diverite O2ptima FX. any thoughts, im just starting my research now so i can be a informed buyer then.

For that money you could look a (second hand) classic/sport KISS for CCR. With training you should have change.

Back
Top Bottom