Getting info for possible California trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop or transfer? See if you can fly into San Jose and/or out of Burbank if you change planes -- shorter drives and smaller (less crazy) airports.
Transfers. So looks like arrival San Jose and departure at Burbank works!

I think for this trip with the complications with a LOB we will save that for the next trip.

I need to step back and take a breath but I am not very good at that so now working on an October 2019 trip. Turn around for the drysuit is the biggest concern so we are hoping to place our order this week. Seaskin shows about 10 weeks for delivery. That will be tight but I think doable.

So mid October flying into San Jose with the concentration of diving in Monterey including diving with Phil Sammet and hopefully meeting up with some of you guys as well. Still looking at a day trip too, possibly on the Peace. And in between lots of the typical tourist misadventures

It sounds like the flight logistics are working out well. Your plan now is way better than getting back to SB. You can also head up to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, and homeless people should you wish to travel that far north. Fall is a beautiful time for SF - warmest then and the least amount of fog with the most clear days.

I would totally be into meeting up with you guys! Keep us/me in the loop on your itinerary and I’ll see if I can book a spot on any boat you guys may get on. Even if you want to do a quick shore dive at the Monterey Breakwater along the wall or out to the metridium fields I would shoot down from Sonoma County for a day. I’m sure several other locals would like to get in on that too. We could have a little mini SB Monterey invasion!
I can also recommend the Spectre dive boat out of Ventura. They dock at the same harbor as the Peace and specialize in day trips. They let you sleep on the boat the night before for free so no hotel fee. they don’t have nitrox though, but they generally go to shallower spots no deeper than 50’ around Anacapa Island. They do kelp forests and MPA preserves a lot and those are great for fish life and looking at huge lobsters. I saw one about 12-15 lbs once in an MPA. A three tank day trip with all food and air is around $140. Last time we had dolphins riding the pressure wake from the boat. There might even be some sea lion adventures.
The Spectre Dive Boat | Diving Santa Cruz Islands on Spectre Dive Boat

There are also some great restaurants at the Ventura Harbor for dinner the night before a trip.
I have been contemplating jumping on the Spectre for back to back day trips and just stay on the boat each night in the harbor. As long as they mix it up and don't go to the same spots each day it would be a slick way to get a couple days in of boat diving.

Eric and I are even now trying to workout the drysuit problem and order in time to make a trip this fall. but there are so many companies and so many options it makes my head spin. And not being able to see it in person before we buy is daunting.

Eric and I are even now trying to workout the drysuit problem and order in time to make a trip this fall. but there are so many companies and so many options it makes my head spin. And not being able to see it in person before we buy is daunting.
What’s your lowest temperature tolerance wearing a 7mm wetsuit?

What’s your lowest temperature tolerance wearing a 7mm wetsuit?
Hi Eric,

I have never dove a 7 but unbelievably I recently got a little chilled diving my 5 in 79 degree water. :(

Hi Eric,

I have never dove a 7 but unbelievably I recently got a little chilled diving my 5 in 79 degree water. :(
The water in Socal will be in the 60’s and Monterey will be in the 50’s, so yeah it sounds like a drysuit (frysuit in my case) is the only option.
Maybe look into a Bare brand neoprene drysuit from Leisure Pro.
If it doesn’t work you can always send it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom