Getting info for possible California trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Eric and I need to broaden our horizons. We are looking for a trip next year but we are not yet ready for the commitment of a southeast Asia trip. The Red Sea and the Galapagos are not an option for now.

I am thinking a California trip might be a good compromise. I have never been to California so would like to mix a little diving with topside exploration. But I need help with the planning and I realize that logistically I will not be able to check all the boxes in one trip and we need to limit it to 10 days max including travel.

Wish list...

Number one is the diving. Water temps are a factor, neither of us own drysuits and I especially am cold intolerant. We would love to see sealions/seals/otters and of course the kelp forest is important. We could buy drysuits for the trip but would really prefer not. Have seen a lot of posts on SB about the Channel Islands and wondering if this would work for us.

Then topside we would love to explore some of California’s natural wonders. Neither of us care much for big cities and we are not wine connoisseurs. So thinking maybe a drive along route 1?

So anyone up for helping me plan a trip for 2020?.

Thanks,
Lisa

You will have to go to Monterey to see otters. Most of my dives have been in California and I am cold intolerant as well. After 800 dives in wetsuits I finally went dry. Most divers use wetsuits.

Truth aquatics out of Santa Barbra for LOB is good. Pacific Star out of San Pedro for Catalina. Monterey bay for otter and sea lions. so cal is easily done with a wet suit but Monterey while possible wet is best done dry, unless you like short dives.

The Channel Islands are great but topside not as much to explore as Monterey. Check out Point Lobos Reserve in Carmel. Truly a magical place. Lots of other shore and boat dives in Monterey bay. Sea lions, otters, and more. Plus Big Sur nation park is only a few minutes away with tons of great hiking in the redwoods.

..... We would love to see sealions/seals/otters and of course the kelp forest is important....

Truth aquatics out of Santa Barbra...

I'm a Florida Diver and I'll echo @lexvil ,,,,, Truth Aquatics live aboard is tough to beat for all the things on your bucket list of wild life and kelp. Also for the value of sleeping, great food, lots of dives, tank fills, and meeting people on a multi-day trip, the Truth is a great choice for us east coasters headed west. Otherwise, you'll waste so much time in traffic when you really want the most memories in a short time. Lots of people do the trips in a 7mm (even had a girl do all the dives in a shortie once). I've been on many of the Truth Trips and the U/W photography alone is worth it.

I always fly into LAX and drive up to the boat because it's way cheaper than Santa Barbara and the car gives you flexibility. Don't worry if it sits in the boat parking lot a couple of days. Cars out of LAX are 75% cheaper than Santa Barbara so you actually are saving $$ plus the flights are cheaper too.

From an East Coaster point of view, California diving is just jaw dropping, incredible with all the different things they have that we east coasties don't see. But word to the wise >>>> book early with which ever shop reserved the dates you want. Call Truth and they will get you set up with the correct information.

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4491.jpg

The fall is the warmest water and usually the best chance for calm, clear conditions. Look for boat trips out of L.A. to San Clemente Island, Santa Barbara Island, and of course Catalina. Anacapa Island (or any of the Northern Channel Islands out of Ventura or Santa Barbara Harbors are great. Monterey is fantastic with shorter boat trips and really cool beach diving. I dive a 5mm Farmers John/Jacket with attached hood year-round in So. Cal. But in Monterey, w/o a drysuit, my dives are short. My 2psi.

Thanks guys! Wonderful info.

So the time of year is set, fall. And looks like two must dive locations, Santa Barbara/Channel Islands plus Monterey Bay. I at least will have to have a drysuit for Monterey and probably Eric as well so guess its time to bite the bullet and buy one.

I am now wondering if we could do both locations in one trip (with some hiking between) or split it into two trips. Maybe even do the Channel Islands this fall if I can find any available spots.

Look into Waterhouse Charters one San Diego. Get a trip down to Los Coronados (Coronado islands). You will need a passport but it’s a day trip. We went in slate summer and it was 60-66 degrees. Warm, compared to Monterey in general. Otters can be found in Monterey (Breakwater is an easy one) and the kelp at Point Lobos is good but you need reservations and the conditions will be up in the air in advance.

Some of my old notes in case it helps - My Notes For Researching My California Dive Trip - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/my-notes-for-researching-my-california-dive-trip.532316/ and a few follow up thoughts:

1.) In a wetsuit, you will have some issues with cold if you're sensitive and diving a lot.

2.) The constant breeze across the water created an evaporative cooling effect; oddly enough, as I'd been warned, it was colder to stand around on back of the boat in my wetsuit than to strip it off. A Vet told me they use water or alcohol to wet over-heated animals to take advantage of this, so the effect was familiar to him.

3.) I grew up hearing horror stories about traffic in L.A. (e..g: the 'freeway shootings,') but Santa Barbara looked like a laid back place I could've drove around.

4.) I did a 'limited load' trip; not much more money, more room on board and from what I read the food tends to get spruced up a bit. It was also a very popular annual trip. Be mindful a trip that doesn't get enough bookings can get cancelled. You may wish to ask the trip provider for a guess as to the 'security' of your proposed trip going.

5.) When I went, of the 3 boats, Truth Aquatic's boat the Vision has a water maker; the Conception didn't. Between that and the limited load trip, there wasn't much pressure to conserve water. Not sure what other situations would involve.

6.) Be ready for some lifting. The way the setup worked on the Vision, BCD/tank/reg. setups were on the 'floor' around a central structure; when ready to don gear, we picked them up and moved to atop peripheral benches, then got them on.

7.) It was a great value. No, it's not 'like an Aggressor boat,' but a lot cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom