Getting first BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reinnes13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new diver getting my first full set of equipment. For buoyancy control, I've decided to get a BP/W setup, especially as I like the flexibility it provides to customize and grow with my diving in the future.

Specifically I'm looking at the starter setup from Dive Gear Express - DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

I have a few questions. First, is this a solid gear setup to start with? Any other BP/W suggestions? I am not opposed to spending more for quality now but I'd lean towards starting more basic and upgrading later as I learn.

Second, is the 30 lb lift sufficient for my purposes? At least initially, the most intense diving I expect is cold saltwater diving with a 7mm wetsuit and up to a 120cf steel single tank down to ~100'. It may also include a small 20-40cf pony setup. For reference I'm ~6' and 200 pounds. In the medium term I may go to max recreational depth.

Third, and related to the above question, should I get the ss backplate or go for aluminum? Ideally I'd like to be able to use the BP/W setup for most wetsuit diving scenarios (warm/cold, fresh/salt) and I do not mind using a dive belt if necessary.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice and responses, they are much appreciated!

Welcome to the dark side.

I've never used that setup, I lucked into a halycon when I got mine and it's the only bp/w I've used.

When you say cold water how cold are you talking about?

Stainless or aluminum is up to you. I like my stainless because I like the extra weight off my belt, others like their aluminum plates.

I traveled once to Roatan for diving. My carry on was a little heavy (essential dive gear goes in carry on) but I was able to manage it.

You might want to try a 120 before you buy one. I'm 6'2" 180 pounds and I found with more experience I didn't like the way 120's balance out, I prefer 100's. YMMV

That's a reasonable package and a great value. I dive a very similar 33#VDH wing for cold water single tank. Depending upon how big you are (and how much weight you need to offset your 7mm wetsuit) two factors will be in play:
On the surface with a full tank, if you put all your lead on your harness, your rig may not float. Hard to tell without more info. The solution is to transfer part of your weight from your rig to your wetsuit with a weight belt or harness.
Second, with a 120cf steel at 100', again depending upon how big you are and how much lead you are carrying, your negative buoyancy may be prohibitive at the start of the dive in the event of catastrophic bcd failure. How much weight can you swim up?
You're probably okay, but barely, for the rig and conditions you have specified. Again, I dive exactly the same thing, but I'm not huge and I'm carrying only 16# lead and a 5# steel BP. Yes, definitely get steel. It'll work just fine for a vacation rig with a thin wetsuit, too.

It's a solid setup, and should probably work for your needs. For me, my first single-tank rig was the OMS SmartStream rig (also from DGX), which has the advantage of coming in bright pink! It has a few other differences as well, but upon reflection I cannot justify the extra $250.

The amount of lift required in the wing is a function of how big your tank is, and how buoyant your suit is. This is because the only things that will affect your buoyancy is 1) the pressure at depth compressing the suit, and 2) breathing the tank down will lighten things up. If you are neutral at the surface, and then descend to infinite depth with a full tank of gas, you need your wing to be big enough to make you neutral again.

120 cubic feet of air weighs about 11 pounds, so if you were diving in a swimsuit, an 11 lb wing would be sufficient. Of course you'll need a bigger wing for your suit, and in reality it's nice to be a little more buoyant than neutral at the surface. Ideally, you could measure the buoyancy if your wetsuit. If you have access to a pool, a mesh bag, and a bunch of lead, then you can discover this by tossing your suit into the bag, and adding lead until the whole thing sinks. Say that comes out to 15 pounds, then you need a wing with 15 pounds of lift for the suit + 11 pounds of lift for the gas + a few extra pounds of lift for convenience at the surface, bringing you to the 30 pound range. If you cannot do this experiment, then you'll need to guess a little bit. I went with a 32-lb wing, which was always sufficient for my single HP100 tanks and 8mm semidry suit (in size MLL, medium large long, which fits me at 5'11" 165lbs). A little smaller wing would have been OK too.

EDIT: As for alu vs stainless plate: go for the stainless. There are circumstances where alu is preferable, but they tend to be double tanks in warm water... if you're diving single tanks in cold water, take all the ballast you can get!

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new diver getting my first full set of equipment. For buoyancy control, I've decided to get a BP/W setup, especially as I like the flexibility it provides to customize and grow with my diving in the future.

Specifically I'm looking at the starter setup from Dive Gear Express - DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

I have a few questions. First, is this a solid gear setup to start with? Any other BP/W suggestions? I am not opposed to spending more for quality now but I'd lean towards starting more basic and upgrading later as I learn.

Second, is the 30 lb lift sufficient for my purposes? At least initially, the most intense diving I expect is cold saltwater diving with a 7mm wetsuit and up to a 120cf steel single tank down to ~100'. It may also include a small 20-40cf pony setup. For reference I'm ~6' and 200 pounds. In the medium term I may go to max recreational depth.

Third, and related to the above question, should I get the ss backplate or go for aluminum? Ideally I'd like to be able to use the BP/W setup for most wetsuit diving scenarios (warm/cold, fresh/salt) and I do not mind using a dive belt if necessary.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice and responses, they are much appreciated!

Depending on how much lead you need to carry, you might consider a 35lb wing. I like Dive Rite gear (have a DR harness and my doubles wing is DR). I have a Halcyon 40lb wing (won at an event) that I use for single tank diving (cold, drysuit, single HP80, lots of weight). Personally, I prefer a bit more lift.

Dive Rite Voyager EXP Wing - {35 lb | 15.9 kg} Lift | Dive Gear Express®

There's a great calculator on here for helping you determine how much lift capacity you need in a wing.

I have the same setup with the stainless plate.

I've dove it with a layered 5mm+7mm with 7mm hood and gloves in fresh water. Not deep (15M), but did dive over-weighted (haven't tuned myself for cold water yet), did not have a problem.
That said, I normally do not dive with any weight and a 3mm full suit, so ymmv.

I have that same set-up (though I did my own tinkering with the straps) and I dive with the stainless steel plate. I'm 180-190 lbs and I believe I use the 30 lb wing. I did 30-40 dives last summer in it with a 7mm wetsuit layered with a 5mm and 5mm hood, gloves, and booties in cold saltwater (45-50F). With the steel plate and a steel 100 I use 8 lbs of weight and it works just fine.

I also got the aluminum plate separate plus more straps/D-rings so if I ever find myself back in the land of the not-suffocating-in-a-7mm, I can just switch over the wing, my weight pockets, and assorted clipped-on gear for a lightweight assembly.

Hello. Here is a reply I sent to someone not long ago.
I bought my first doubles in 1999. They were U.S. Divers Luxfer Aluminum 80's. I had a 30 cubic aluminum Pony bottle strapped in between them. I was also using a 6.5 mm Farmer John........Carrying 42 pounds of lead. New England diving. The water was approx. 38 degrees.
I'm 6'3 245 Lbs. (Just giving you an indication of how heavy I was in full gear.)
The B.C. that I was using at the time was a U.S. Divers Sea Master which had 50 Lbs of lift. I never had any issue being over weighted, or any problems returning to the surface.
I currently have an Apeks WTX6R (Dual Bladder.) which has 60 Lbs of lift. The wing is the perfect width for doubles, and also suitable for single tank dives with a S.T.A. (Single Tank Adapter.) The retraction bungee is on the inside of the shell, so there is no worry for snagging, and there is minimal drag.
45 Lbs is sufficient for Double 80's (Just make sure the wing is wide enough.) Many people you will find say, or think 60 Lbs or more of lift is not necessary (Too much.) Kind of like having too much air.( LOL.)
I suggest buying something that is modular. Something that you can use for different tanks, diving applications, and future advancement.
Cheers. (End.)
I think your level headed in regard to your equipment, and possible future uses. I currently have Double L.P. 121's (Dedicated Air.) and Double H.P. 120's (Dedicated Nitrox.) I bought an Apeks aluminum backplate. Shortly thereafter, I bought 3 Apeks Stainless Backplates.
(The aluminum one got put back in the plastic bag, never saw water.) The stainless is far superior. I could visualize the aluminum getting beat up, even bent tossing doubles around.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom