Getting back into shape - need a plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm 36 and I'm going back into diving and I need a plan to get in shape.

I need to work on some strength training and build up my endurance.

I also need to get my gut (stomach and waistline) reduced. I've gone up about 3 inches in the past few years.

Here are my issues:

1. I have a bad back, so I need something low impact for my back (for example jogging isn't too high on my list)

2. I have a disabled child at home, and I own my own business so "going to the gym" before or after work is nearly impossible. I need a program I can do at home on my own schedule.

3. I don't have a lot to invest in equipment both $$ and space-wise. I'd prefer to do calisthenics, pushups, sit-ups, squats, weight reps, biking, etc.

I have access to a treadmill, bicycle, a German Shepherd, and a pool (not heated).

So where do I start?

I think the first and most important thing is to evaluate what you are eating in your food. Even if you do exercise, but eat a giant pizza, you gain what you loss while exercising. You already have the exercise equipment like the treadmill and bicycle which is what I previously started with. However, thats what I did, don't know what the other divers did :).

Food is being worked on... I really don't eat that poorly.

It's more of the inactivity factor and getting back into shape I need help with.

Just start doing anything aeroebic, it takes 3 weeks to form a habit and 10 minutes to stop. I ride my bike everyday in front of the tv at 4:45 am and watch the show I taped yesterday. I am up to 6-7 miles, as I ride I lift my little 6# dumbells 15 reps, 5 times, 5 different motions. As no one is up at that ungodly hour, nobody interrups me and I actually stay with it. I also have a bad bad and use a Ab Lounger, not sure if it works but it is better that doing nothing. Wait 2 weeks you will see everyone who bought exercise equipment selling it cheaply in Feb. I can burn off 500 calories in 45 minutes of working out. Just stick with it! Good Luck!

I understand that the gym is not an ongoing option, but had you thought about possibly hiring a personal trainer for maybe 2 or 3 sessions just to get you on the right track? They can help you build a workout plan, get you comfortable with it and then let you off on your own to use it. Should cost you no more than about $150 for 3 sessions. I thiink it would be worth it! Good luck!!!

Jay

Don't try my plan. On New Year's I gave up my favorite Mexican pastries ($0.33 at Vons) so I could lose some weight. I also cut my portions down on regular meals I eat. After one week on this "diet," I've gained SEVEN pounds! Go figure.

Back in the 1970's, I cut down to 900 calories a day and exercised 90 min (swim 1 mile, weights, exercycle). My weight dropped from 240 to 170 in 5 m onths. It stayed off for years.

A better approach? In 2001 I took a three month backpacking/diving trip through SE Asia, Australia-NZ and the South Pacific. I dropped from 240 to 205 and my GF loved my new six pack (now I sport a full "case").

qball,

There are some things you can do at home that are effective... given your bad back I'd suggest doing planks to help strengthen your core. Planks, if you've never heard of them, is holding a position for a desired amount of time, then adding time to increase difficulty. One of my favorites is this..... get down on the floor like you're going to do a push up, go to your elbows and toes, suspending your waist in the air. Make sure you are not hunching your back, engage your abs tightly and your back and hold this posistion for 1 minute.... as you improve, move up in increments of 30sec. For a more complete breakdown, PM me. I'm a personal trainer at my local Golds Gym, so if there is something I can't answer....it's likely one of my fellow trainers will know :)

CheddarChick:
I can burn off 500 calories in 45 minutes of working out.

Wouldn't it be cool to burn that many extra calories a day without doing the cardio? There is a great way to do that. Depending on your body fat % you could add 10lbs of muscle and burn that many extra calories everyday. If you add 1lb of muscle this will burn an extra 50Cal everyday. Once you've added the muscle... your fat seems to melt off, but it's not easy adding the muscle either, it just has a much longer effect than cardio alone.

That's not to say Cardio isn't important.... it is. Strength training combined with good cardio makes loosing fat easier.

qball:
I'm 36 and I'm going back into diving and I need a plan to get in shape.

I need to work on some strength training and build up my endurance.

I also need to get my gut (stomach and waistline) reduced. I've gone up about 3 inches in the past few years.

Here are my issues:

1. I have a bad back, so I need something low impact for my back (for example jogging isn't too high on my list)

2. I have a disabled child at home, and I own my own business so "going to the gym" before or after work is nearly impossible. I need a program I can do at home on my own schedule.

3. I don't have a lot to invest in equipment both $$ and space-wise. I'd prefer to do calisthenics, pushups, sit-ups, squats, weight reps, biking, etc.

I have access to a treadmill, bicycle, a German Shepherd, and a pool (not heated).

So where do I start?

Two Words "Cameron Martz". Get a copy of his book "Fitness for Divers". Though his main target is divers, the advice is easily applicable to many conditions, including yours. His advice is solid and his programs can help you. He is one of the very few trainers/coaches whose advice I am more than happy to endorse. Good luck!

my 2 cents....gotta walk (literally on that treadmill) before you can run (figuratively). Diets are great...for some. The "bottom" line as we all know is to move more, eat less.

Now, where did I put that donut?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom