Getting a digital fit Henderson wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevenfeet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For the last 15 years of warm water diving, I've mostly been diving chilly. That's because I've only owned a skinsuit all this time since I'm 6'11" and weigh 295 lbs (yes, I'm a former college basketball player, now middle age). My wife and I are going to Hawaii in September and I'm not doing Hawaii again in anything less than 3mm since it was a tad uncomfortable the first time I did it in the 90s.

My dealer sells Henderson and I know that they have a program to cut a wetsuit to specific dimensions. I'm looking for some feedback if anyone's done this and what they thought the end product was versus off-the-rack. I'm not sure my dealer has ever done this (although they do measure dry-suits all the time) Because Henderson charges a 60% premium for anything over 6'5", this is not going to be a cheap purchase (especially if I go for an Aqua-Lock).

Any comments?

I have a followup on this. After a lot of discussion with my dive shop (Blue Water Scuba, Franklin TN) and Henderson, I was ready to get measured for a digital fit suit...at tremendous expense. I didn't completely realize that this entire process was going to cost >$1000 due to the fact this while Henderson does offer this program, it's rarely used since 98% of the population fits in one of their off the rack suits. Then someone at Henderson reminded me that its not unlike getting a business suit made and that made me nod my head in agreement. I get all of my business suits custom made and they all cost well over $1000.

So for the process I brought my tailor from Tom James Clothiers to help do the measurements. It helped that my tailor is also a scuba diver. After he looked at the details of the Henderson programs (Digital Fit vs. Tailor Fit), he wondered whether we should start with an existing suit off the rack to get a better idea of what kind of allowances need to be made in the measurement process...after all, this really isn't quite like measuring a business suit. Then Steve Slattery, the owner of Blue Water has an idea...he still had some Henderson H2s in stock including the 3X size which he had used to fit some Tennessee Titans football players in the past. he said that the (now discontinued) H2s tend to stretch a lot more than anything else Henderson made (or anything else in the store). The "Aquasilk" neoprene tended to allow the wearer to get away with a size smaller than a typical wetsuit fitting.

Although it looked like the sleeves were still going to be way too short, I tried it anyway. And to my surprise, the 3X H2 fit very well. The body fit good and the sleeves stretched to fit perfectly. The only problem was the legs. The legs ended up about 3 inches too short, which is still too short for any decent dive boot fit (Henderson models included). So another call to Henderson described this situation and asked what could be done about it. The H2 hasn't been manufactured in months since it was replaced by the Aqualock and the Aqualock doesn't use the same stretchy fabric. With the H2 out of production there is no way to get a "Tailor Fit" model where you could ask for up to 3 extra inches, but they did offer to sew an extension ring into the legs below the knee pads but above the end section to get the extra length required. The extension ring won't be the same Aquasilk neoprene as in the rest of the H2, but it really doesn't have to be.

So the H2 is being shipped back to Henderson in New Jersey for alterations. If everything comes together, it'll all be ready for my Hawaii vacation with my wife in three weeks. Total cost is about $600 (including shipping, alterations and the rush status). Thanks to Henderson for finding a solution to my problem.

Back
Top Bottom