Georgia dive trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops

Blacklight Poster
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
Four other board members along with myself chartered South GA Dive Charters for the day on Saturday 6/21. The diving in this area isn't for the faint hearted, it was 35 mile run to the "good stuff" and good stuff it was :)

First, we stopped in Area C for a drop on a 175' barge. Water temps were about 81-82 and viz was probably only about 25' but the wreck was quite different from the usual stuff local here in S FL. A pretty big jewfish (~350 lb.) lives on the barge and I've never heard a jewfish bark as many times as this one did. He obviously didn't like us coming out to check out his house. In all honestly, I was really hoping the rest of the dives were going to be better than this one was. I wasn't disappointed :)

From the barge, we moved to a wreck known simply as the Shrimp Boat. Here we saw loads of fish, some nice big snapper, and a few turtles. Additionally, I scoped out an octopus by his beak in a hole next to the wreck and dangled a stainless clip in front of his hole to see if he'd "take the bait" and sure enough, it wasn't before he stuck an arm out and latched onto the clip. It took quite a bit of tugging to get it back :crafty:

From here, we moved another 13 miles to the wreck of the 463' US Liberty ship Nettleton. Now this is a cool wreck. It's simply huge and when you're down in the bottom of the cargo holds, it looks like the big columns of the Roman coliseum when you're looking out. We saw tons of "stuff" here.... Like this really weird looking toad fish that had dozens of little babies that were running in and out of the adults mouth:
2576574910011322688S500x500Q85.jpg

We also saw two frog fish hanging out together (one with black fins tips and the other with yellow fin tips), turtles coming in to check us out, jewfish, gag grouper, huge snappers, a sleeping turtle under the stern section, and cowries as big as softballs.

Cumulative bottom time was 190 minutes.

After the third dive, we surfaced to find the sea state had deteriorated a bit and most of the ride home we were taking solid 3-4's "on the chin".

After the ride home. the five of us went out for grub and deco beverages at a local spot named Starters. After getting a trainee wait person, it all ended good with half the staff coming by to say hello to us :D

I want to thank Palatka Boy, MasonLC (aka the airman first class), Netmage (aka the anchor man), and Francois for joining me on this little expedition. It was lot's of fun and a great primer on GA wreck diving. I'll be planning another visit before the summer is over.

Last edited:
NITROX, SCHMITROX!!!

The Nettleton was outstanding, I'd definately like to dive it again (and again).

I wonder if next time we could get them to pick us up on Amelia Island. We wouldn't have to drive as far PLUS it'd cut 45 min each way from the boat ride. And it's not like it's out of the way.

Agreed, a good time... I could have done w/o the first two sites, but reminded myself the real goal of the trip was to evaluate and shakedown the operator; the Nettleton was all gravy... and good gravy it was....

The barge yielded three fluke anchors, a nice long piece of chain, and two stainless marine grade shackles...

The nettleton yielded one fluke and a grapnel anchor, which every good dive boat can use a spare....

When are we going back?

-Tim

Looks like you guys had better diving up north than we did here in Pompano Beach, even though the seas were flat for us Saturday on the Mariner II Tug.

Nice report - Thanks for sharing!

The barge yielded three fluke anchors, a nice long piece of chain, and two stainless marine grade shackles...

The nettleton yielded one fluke and a grapnel anchor, which every good dive boat can use a spare....

When are we going back?

-Tim

Did you grapple much with the grapnel?? :D

I'm thinking early September, maybe Labor Day weekend to get away from the crowds down here.

Did you grapple much with the grapnel?? :D

I'm thinking early September, maybe Labor Day weekend to get away from the crowds down here.

Works for me... fits into the back end of my NC trip perfectly... (8/20 - 8/24).

-Tim

I am from St. Simon's Island (now live in Savannah) and I dove the Nettleton for the first time yesterday. It was great!!! water temp = 80's...I wore a shorty but regretted it after I got in the water and the jellies started trying to me up! I managed to avoid them most of the dive but took a nettle to my lip on the first dive and it numbed my lip for about an hour! the entire surface interval I had a FAT LIP!!! Felt like I'd been at the dentist!!! We saw grouper (huge HUGE Goliath grouper...musta been 200 lbs!), jewfish, snapper, lots of bait fish, plenty of sponges (cucumbers were in abundance), plenty of starfishes on the hull of the boat, and anemone. Viz was about 20-25' ft. current was brutal...second dive the water kicked up on the surface and made re-entry a devil..exiting was tuff, too. the ride back in was very choppy...felt like I'd been beat about back and shoulders with a sack of oranges! BUT...I'd go again TODAY if I could. Highly recommend Island Dive Center and DM Mike Sonnenthal. Also Captain Warren!!!

Thanks for the report. Not too many Georgia diving reports out there. More pics would be much appreciated:D

Nettleton truly has to be seen to be appreciated,glad ya'll had good conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom