George likes clear skirts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like black because it looks more bad***.:rolleyes: :eek:ut:

O-ring once bubbled...
George vs Andrew on the drysuit thing is one of the latest examples...

What do you want to discuss about situational awareness, skills, and team work?
How about using your situational awareness skills to avoid the entanglement hazard this presents. :D

Have you noticed that sometimes theories are advanced to defend personal preferences? Theories should give way to practices/equipment etc, NOT the other way around. Too many times theories are regurgitated that have no real data to support them. BUT... 'cause someone important says it, it's taken as gospel... Now don't get me wrong... it ain't just DIR or cavers. It's used by anyone who wants to just "win" their argument. Come up with a plausible theory and walla! Instant dive science!!!

:)

Tell me how you are developing your senses to be more aware of your surroundings?
Since I work 5 blocks from the White House, believe me, I am always aware of my surroundings...I watch for potential terrorists and avoid them on the subway and underwater.
Have you done anything with sight, sound or touch?
All the time...not as much with sound though..
Can you smell the hydrogen sulfide in the deep quarry water?
Nope...smelled it pretty bad a few times in the Bahamas though...
Can you tell when other divers enter your immediate area?
Sometimes. The other day I swam in front of a guy who was trying to take a picture of the stingray I was following...I think he probably wished I was more aware...
How do you know where your buddy is all the time?
Watch him and carry big lights so we can see each other's light signals. Use hand signals to communicate any changes in direction, etc. and just generally stay aware of where we are in relation to each other.
Tell me about your dive planning procedures with your buddy?
Oof...long one. Lots of talking...usually some gas planning calculations or at least using a tool to figure out what we are doing regarding breathing supplies. We make a vague plan of what we will do depending on the dive, but a lot of times it is more like "head down the anchor and swim around the rubble field" :) This is adjusted depending on the dive itself...
do you agree that most people don't have skills mastered when they leave an open water class?
Definitely..

Ok, my turn. When do you use your own personal preference vs. DIR recommendations? Example: I want to buy a drysuit. Someone from GUE tells me to get a FifthD suit. Someone that says he "invented DIR" tells me FifthD suits suck and I should get a DUI. Who's advice would you follow?

It's like the skirt thing...the DIR-F book definitely says black skirt. Someone that says he "invented DIR" says clear. Who's advice would you follow?

...or would you use personal preference here? After all, it's just a mask...or is it life support equipment?

I'll tell you what I think a little later...

Dry suits...I take the information presented by Andrew and others and choose my personnal preference....If I was buying now I would buy a Self donning Andies in orange and green with the 2 bellows pockets and attached latex hood. Not DIR or is it?
The mask is a tool and really personnal preference and what fits.The mask I have right now is probably not DIR as it has presription lenses in and is clear skirt..Is the mask truely life support? I can and have completed a dive without a mask due to it breaking....plus you carry a backup mask now in your left pocket so it should be a non issue.
Pug,
I carry my shears on my left side on my waist for entanglements:) oh yeah backup set in the pocket:)

...take the information from both "sides" and use your judgment as to what is best for your needs. I think that there is a definite difference between what GUE is teaching and what the WKPP/GI3 are espousing as DIR. There seem to be more deviations lately. I wish they would get things squared away so they don't sound like competing factions...

orange and green
Orange and green? I don't know if that's DIR or not, but it sounds like a huge rule 6 violation :wink:

if you want to be a WKPP exploration diver you definitly do what GI3 says:)

... I believe in that too. At some point, once you know the proper characteristics of the equipment, you need to consider fit and comfort. So let's think about these issues.

Drysuits... 5D suits have been modified to better accommodate existing issues (ie reaching valves, reducing wear points). DUI suits are better known, been around practically forever and have sufficient proof of worthiness. I'm sure both suits will keep you dry. The undergarments will keep you relatively warm. Dumps can be moved if necessary. Pockets can be added. And most importantly get the right fit. There's a lot of delta in price, which could result in comfort in the WHA-llet. :wink:

Mask... opaque skirts keep distracting light out (someone described it a much better earlier). In a cave, there is generally no distracting lights. In fact, in a cave you want to know the deviations in light in case its a team member signalling outside of your vision. Therefore a clear skirt can increase situational awareness when there is no distracting ambient light. For photography and OW where ambient light could be distracting, an opaque black skirt may be better. As long as the mask is low volume to facilitate clearing, it boils down to preference for the type of diving.

JJ uses a two lens mask, Halcyon makes a single lens mask. Now what?

In any case, know the proper characteristics and select accordingly for the environment. That seems to be the better answer.
Ken

I wear two lens masks, for my prescription.
My back up mask, is my old Dacor Vista View(Persuit 2L), it ha a clear silicone rubber skirt. Side light distaction was never a probelm. (the mask frame covers the side areas quite closely) This year I bought a Cressi-sub Big Eyes. I tried my buddies clear one first and I did find the side lighting to be distracting, and I found it undesireable, so I opted for the black slicone skirt.

It would appear that is't not just the skirt material, but also the mask design that effects the side light penetration.

my 2 cents worth (which is not worth much in Canadian Currency)

Mike D

:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom