Genesis HP tanks, any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmds

Registered
Reaction score
At the LDS they have these Genesis HP 100 tanks and they interest me but are they any good? They say "spun" on the stamping and I'm wondering if it is any good? I'm going to switch to doubles in the future and is it a bad idea to do that with these tanks? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

HP vs LP tanks can turn into a real religious debate very quickly.

Are the tanks safe? Yes. They are fine. The "spun" just refers to part of the manufacturing process.

Are they right for you? Buying steel tanks is about getting the ones that you can carry, maneuver safely, and hold enough gas for your style of diving. Length, width, and size can also affect your trim and bouyancy. See if you can get a tech class and get some instruction in dealing with doubles before you buy.

I'm going to take tech classes next spring and you're right that I should just wait. They said that I can rent a set of 121s from them when I take the TDI adv nitrox/deco theory class and I will probably wait until then. I'm still doing single tank diving with my Eclipse and alum80 for now, I just thought when I took my drysuit class that the favorable neg bouyancy would be helpful.

Thanks
Tom

Ontario Diver:
HP vs LP tanks can turn into a real religious debate very quickly.

Are the tanks safe? Yes. They are fine. The "spun" just refers to part of the manufacturing process.

Are they right for you? Buying steel tanks is about getting the ones that you can carry, maneuver safely, and hold enough gas for your style of diving. Length, width, and size can also affect your trim and bouyancy. See if you can get a tech class and get some instruction in dealing with doubles before you buy.

Contrary to some, I found that switching to a drysuit meant less weight for me to carry. It depends upon the type of suit and how closely it fits, in my case, close enough that I don't carry any extra ballast with double PST LP104's.

Don't take the tec class cold in doubles - a little bit of practice ahead of time (even in a pool) will help. They're a little tricky to get used to. As OD said, steel tanks can be a touchy subject, my suggestion would be to try as many different kinds of sets before you buy anything.

tmds:
... They said that I can rent a set of 121s from them ...

Those are BIG tanks especially when doubled up. I hope that you are the big and burley type :D Get some practise in before your tech classes. They take quite a bit of energy to push through the water and they will turn you turtle in a heartbeat. Of course, you can stay under the water untill next thursday. :D

I made the mistake of using doubles for the first time while starting my adv nitrox/deco procedures.... it takes a while to get used to doubles.

I have 4 of them.

You should search thru the many HP vs LP threads. Everybody has an opinion.

LP121s are huge tanks and you probably do not want to use them for the 1st time during a class unless you are big and strong.

I'm 6'2" 200# and they are big but still managable on me. LP104s are a better fit, and HP80s are very nice and light.

Peter

pdoege:
I have 4 of them.

You should search thru the many HP vs LP threads. Everybody has an opinion.

LP121s are huge tanks and you probably do not want to use them for the 1st time during a class unless you are big and strong.

I'm 6'2" 200# and they are big but still managable on me. LP104s are a better fit, and HP80s are very nice and light.

Peter

Peter, do you have HP Genesis tanks doubled? How much different bouancy than AL80? I can't find anything about bouancy for these tanks. Any help would be great. The tanks are HP100s.

Tom

I have the Genesis HP80s doubled and I have dove double HP100s.

Both sets are negative empty. The HP80s are very negative for their size. I do not wear weights when I dive dry with either set. AL80s are bouyant empty. I use a steel BP and STA when I use an AL80, so I am using about 8# of weight.

See

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...are/cylinders.html+hp100+buoyancy+empty&hl=en

for a bouyancy chart.

I really like the HP80s. The other cavers look at me weird with my baby doubles, but I have the last laugh at the end of a long walk to the cave :)

Lots of cavers use the HP100s. I don't think that you can go wrong with them. Great beginning tanks.

In general, tanks do not make or break the dive. It is much more important to know how to use the gear. Used steel tanks really retain value. If you buy a set of 100s and it turns out in a year or two that you really wanted some other tanks it is very easy to sell the tanks and grab some others.

No need to over think this decision :)

Peter

tmds:
Peter, do you have HP Genesis tanks doubled? How much different bouancy than AL80? I can't find anything about bouancy for these tanks. Any help would be great. The tanks are HP100s.

Tom

Thanks for the info, I think you have helped me alot with my decision.

Tom

pdoege:
I have the Genesis HP80s doubled and I have dove double HP100s.

Both sets are negative empty. The HP80s are very negative for their size. I do not wear weights when I dive dry with either set. AL80s are bouyant empty. I use a steel BP and STA when I use an AL80, so I am using about 8# of weight.

See

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...are/cylinders.html+hp100+buoyancy+empty&hl=en

for a bouyancy chart.

I really like the HP80s. The other cavers look at me weird with my baby doubles, but I have the last laugh at the end of a long walk to the cave :)

Lots of cavers use the HP100s. I don't think that you can go wrong with them. Great beginning tanks.

In general, tanks do not make or break the dive. It is much more important to know how to use the gear. Used steel tanks really retain value. If you buy a set of 100s and it turns out in a year or two that you really wanted some other tanks it is very easy to sell the tanks and grab some others.

No need to over think this decision :)

Peter

reefraff:
Don't take the tec class cold in doubles - a little bit of practice ahead of time (even in a pool) will help. They're a little tricky to get used to. .

Solid advice ( from experience :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom