Genesis GS-2000 & Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's the latests consensus? I have read through some of the past threads, and I was curious as to what people are thinking now. I have the GS-2000, It's about a year old and I bought it through Liesurepro not my LDS, even though they are a Genesis dealer, although they don't cary any Genesis stuff in stock as far as I can tell. Anyway, I want to take up nitrox and according to the Manual I shouldn't use anything more that 21% i.e. air. However, Ive read on the board here that there is a service package that will upgrade the regulator for Nitrox, is this really necessary? To me it seems like a litte overkill. What da ya think? BTW what would the upgrade cost, does anyone know?

MAGELLAN:
What's the latests consensus? I have read through some of the past threads, and I was curious as to what people are thinking now. I have the GS-2000, It's about a year old and I bought it through Liesurepro not my LDS, even though they are a Genesis dealer, although they don't cary any Genesis stuff in stock as far as I can tell. Anyway, I want to take up nitrox and according to the Manual I shouldn't use anything more that 21% i.e. air. However, Ive read on the board here that there is a service package that will upgrade the regulator for Nitrox, is this really necessary? To me it seems like a litte overkill. What da ya think? BTW what would the upgrade cost, does anyone know?
Ahh, I loved this debate :). AFIK the answers haven't changed. Our resident Sherwood (same company as Genesis) employee says they can explode with 22% O2. I still believe you are safe under 40%.

James

James,

Are you speaking from personal experience? If so, how long have you been flirting with disaster :wink: and what mix are you using?

I've used a GS2K for two years with up to 38%. I do service it anually but I've never asked for a special nitrox upgrade kit.

James

MAGELLAN:
Not safe for above 21% air??

You might want to break out a meter and see what we breath everyday.

The GS is fine up to and including 40+%Nitrox

I dove my GS2000 on nitrox yesterday - and I'm here to tell the story! Just my $.02...

Genesis will never change.

You know that even their valves are only good to 40%? But wait! That means that you can't partial pressure blend into a tank that has one. How do you get the nitrox in it?

They are so full of it that words won't even describe it. LOL

You could always ask liesurepro what they think. Sorry I had too throw that in. I guess it wouldn't any worse than asking at most shops.

I went through this same quandry. I checked with two of the local dive shops and they felt that you could use the GS2K with Nitrox up to 40%, even though Sherwood/Genesis do not suppport this. I have been used my reg(s) with < 40% Nitrox since that time.

Now here is the important part, the next time it needs to be serviced, get the 02 kit. The cost is comparible with the regular kit, (maybe a couple dollars more), and it eliminates the debate. This is what I have done.

MikeFerrara:
Genesis will never change.

You know that even their valves are only good to 40%? But wait! That means that you can't partial pressure blend into a tank that has one. How do you get the nitrox in it?

They are so full of it that words won't even describe it. LOL

You could always ask liesurepro what they think. Sorry I had too throw that in. I guess it wouldn't any worse than asking at most shops.

Actually genesis does not make tanks... but they sell luxfer and yes, if you go to the luxfer page, they say they are ready for 40% nitrox, but you should not partial pressure fill in their tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom