General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:spit:

When I first started reading this thread I had no ideal that after some 800 post I would still be hooked. I have enjoyed learning about your world and all the training that is involved. If any one ever asked me if I would be interested in cave diving my first response was always hell NO! Now I find myself answering that question a little slower. Thank you for all the information and for also pointing out the divers who have not received the proper training!

...If anyone has a better suggestion of where to move the discussion to...
It's where it belongs now.
Don't move the thread!
:)
Rick

Hush. We're going to let him keep doing it and use him for an Easter egg hunt in the cave next year.

entertained but appalled:amazed::amazed:

I was hooked after watching the Wes Skiles video of the girl squeezing through the tight restriction. I've learned a bunch from this thread and other reading I've done because of it. Cave diving is now on my bucket list. I think this thread is right where it should be. Thanks guys! And great video of Airport Sink and Ginnie, too!

Current topic goes to show that no matter what you do to keep the untrained out of the caves, they are far too ignorant or bull headed to listen.

Untrained guy dies in cave, untrained guy boasts about cave diving in a thread about the lost diver. Go figure.

Could I just add a vote for keeping the thread here (or somewhere generally accessible)? I realise there's a lot of dross in it and a lot of info that is mind-bogglingly basic stuff for trained cave divers, but as a novice diver who's interested in pursuing cavern training once my skills are up to it, I've found a whole lot of fascinating stuff here. There's also been a whole lot of 'what not to do' info as well, complete with videos from the participants :shakehead:.

While I've read some of the great cave diving books (such as Caverns Measureless to Man and the Darkness Beckons) the practical information and stories from you experienced people has been a great insight. Thanks for taking the time to post, and rest assured that many members may not be posting but are reading your posts and drinking them in, so to speak. Not to venture into overhead environments without gear or training, but to be inspired to get (even some) of those skills and experiences. Thanks.
I would like the Mods to go and put a video with trained divers cave diving the right way or post the video on Robs website with each one so people can see what happens when its done wrong.
There have been some awesome videos on here (I loved the crystal cave among others) and I think any diver with an ounce of skill and experience can differentiate the 'what to do' from the 'what not to do'. If they can't, then surely the oft repeated ufcdiver quote "If you don't realize that 170ft deep on air through a no mount restriction with clay isn't smart, a course just can't help you" applies.
Hush. We're going to let him keep doing it and use him for an Easter egg hunt in the cave next year.
:rofl3:and I always thought Scubaboard was such a 'respectable' forum!:D

Is there a report online somewhere or did you cross paths with him at Ed's? Just curious if we know this for a fact?

It's a fact.

Current topic goes to show that no matter what you do to keep the untrained out of the caves, they are far too ignorant or bull headed to listen.

Untrained guy dies in cave, untrained guy boasts about cave diving in a thread about the lost diver. Go figure.

& a few of us who, untrained went in (not necessarily boasting in my case) to the grate, nearly "bit it", learned their lesson & are now pursuing proper training. Yes, when I went in, I was ignorant & did a "trust me" dive with someone also untrained who had been in several times. I got my "initial education" very quickly & unpleasantly. I certainly would not suggest this method to anyone (except the proper training part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom