general (stupid) question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I think this is the right place to post - we just had a fire drill here at work, and I noticed the regulator is on the bottom of the fireman's air tanks, intead of on top like in scuba. Can anyone tell me why? (Just curious - they make me stay inside to answer the phone during these things, so I have a lot of spare time and an up close view of the firehunks :wink: )

Hi. Firefighters wear thier airtanks in that position for several reasons. First and foremost is they wear a helmut. When a firefighter enters a structure with an IDLH (Immediatly Dangerous to Life and Health) atmosphere he often encounters great amounts of heat and is forced to crawl on his hands and knees. The brim of his helmut (on the rear of the helmut to protect his neck as opposed to the front like a ball cap) now drapes across his neck and shoulders. If his air bottle was worn with the valve up, the valve and hoses would interfear with his helmut and he wouldn't be able to pick his head up to see.

Second is entanglement. As the firefighter is crawling around he will often become entangled in structural debris. Remember this is not a nice neat house or store that s/he is going into, it has been damaged by fire or some other catastrophic event. There is stuff everywhere! The firefighter will often crawl under obstructions like hanging wires or wooden beams hanging in his path and not realise it because s/he cannot see them. If s/he does not fit the first thing to get struck is the top of his air bottle. (think of being all suited up and crawling under your dining room table, you will fit but your bottle wont). This happens very frequently. The top of that bottle is a lot stronger and can take a lot more of this type of abuse than say the valve or a hose.

Hope that helps
Ken

Thanks! I guess I never grew out of that little kid "why?" stage...

OK guys tell the truth.

Firemen have dyslexia.

Here's proof

Tanks on up side down
Run "into" burning buildings
Use trucks for race cars
Use the roof to go to the basement
water the house instead of the lawn
and wear those big Santa boots

hehehe

Gary D.

Yea! But remember, we wouldn't have any volunteer fire fighters if our trucks didn't sirens!!!!!

By the way Nauidiver, good explanation!!!

Thank you Boater Dan. My passion is firefighting. Seems like I allways liked playing with water.

nauidiver2004:
Hi. Firefighters wear thier airtanks in that position for several reasons... is entanglement. As the firefighter is crawling around he will often become entangled in structural debris. Remember this is not a nice neat house or store that s/he is going into, it has been damaged by fire or some other catastrophic event. There is stuff everywhere! The firefighter will often crawl under obstructions like hanging wires or wooden beams hanging in his path and not realise it because s/he cannot see them. If s/he does not fit the first thing to get struck is the top of his air bottle. (think of being all suited up and crawling under your dining room table, you will fit but your bottle wont). This happens very frequently. The top of that bottle is a lot stronger and can take a lot more of this type of abuse than say the valve or a hose.Ken
This brings up a good question... then why don't all our wreck divers do this as (I would think) they are exposed to similar environments???

brssmnky:
This brings up a good question... then why don't all our wreck divers do this as (I would think) they are exposed to similar environments???

It would mess up your hose routing. Imagine trying to run an inflator hose from your lower back without creating a worse entaglement danger.

And most of our gear and emergency techniques are valve-up specific. Most who are worried about this (lots of cave divers) get a metal cover that still lets you access the valves but will protect them too.

Years ago there was an inverted SCUBA tank. It was a failure and didn't stick around long.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom