General discussion re: Aqua Lung Zuma BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comayjo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I are planning two dive trips this year and are thinking of buying Aqualung Zuma travel BC's. Anyone have any feedback yes or no?

I have played with the Zuma and liked it, if all your diving is warm, clear water in minimal thermal protection, it is a really comfortable travel BC. However, if one of your trips is to the great lakes to dive the wonderful wrecks...wrong choice, I also would not make it my primary BC unless ALL my diving is vacation diving, but all the pieces in Aqualung's travel light package(Micron, Micromask, Impulse snorkel, hotshot fins, and Zuma) are nice pieces seperately or as a system.

There have been many discussions about the Zuma, for more try the search function. My experience with the Zuma is very positive. I have almost 150 dives on mine and still love it for a warm water travel bc.

I also have broke L4 lumbar spine on a parachute jump so I can not use integrated weights as the stress of the extra weight on the sholders helps to compress the spine. I easily cut the intgrated weights off the Zuma for a more streamlined front. I then wear th ole weight belt which sits on my hips bellow where I broke my back and takes all the pressure off the spine.

I also wore the Zuma through IDC, and in rescue senario number 7 the fellow canidates had issues getting me quickly out of the Zuma. They would loosen all the straps, and submerge the zuma and drag it under and over my head like you would take off a shirt in one quick motion.

I have the first generation zuma that does not have reinforcing between the tank strap and the bladder. When I getting into a steel 120 cu/ft tank, the tank strap tore through the bladder destroying the bcd. I liked the bcd but I had less than 50 dives on it before it was done. I went back to my LDS I found that Aqualung has not recalled the first generation BCD, but they have added a stitched leather like reinforcing near the tank strap area. So if you buy a zuma make sure to closely check for this flaw.

Back
Top Bottom