gear storage: bins vs bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've split my stuff between a bag and a bin. BP/W and a few light misc things go in the bin, regs, fins etc go in the bag and drysuit/wetsuit in its own bag. Frankly, I find this kind of stupid since my gear bag is plenty big for everything, but seems to attract every loose hair in the house. Also, it doesn't provide the protection for hte BP/W like a plastic bin and in the car the bin is great for catching water/transporting damp gear.

How do you guys store your gear and transport it? Are the bags good for anything? Boat trips maybe?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Forgot to say the majority of what I do is shore diving (and no truck unfotunately....just a hatchback).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Bag for diving, I have a closet everything goes into at home. I don't use any bins.

Oh man for shore diving? Bins all the way. Most of my diving is shore diving (well, into a hole in the ground), and I have bins for all my stuff, plus a milk crate for gloves, hoods, and clip-able items.

I don't shore dive anymore but my gear is all hung up except for regs, mask, computers. Regs are in a low bin that fits under bed (also store some miscellaneous dive paraphernalia in there). Mask and computer don't ever make it out of my carryon luggage other than for re-rinse upon returning home.

I use a rubbermade bin for both shore diving and boat diving. I put line in it to clip off my pocket contents, etc and the rest just gets tossed in. It is sized for most of the charters around here and fits under the bench.

As far as storage goes at home, I have a bunch of the clear plastic bins stacked on shelves.

Next time I go down to by basement I'll take a picture.

I use a large tub for shore dives out of the Jeep, mesh bag for single-day boat dives.

My tub is like the image below, except I lost the top forever ago; never used it anyway. It holds my BP/W, booties, gloves reg, wet suit, etc etc, basically everything but my tanks and camera. I love my tub; bags just get in the way if you're shore diving and let water from wet gear get all over the back of your car. With a tub, all of the water that drips off of the gear stays in the tub, meaning I have to spray down the cargo liner far less often. There's also the added bonus of being able to use it to rinse your gear after the dive.
RUBBERMAID-HOME-RHP2215CPSTE.jpg

On a boat it's different. A large mesh bag that will hold everything really comes in handy, and it's easy to unpack and stow out of everybody's way. Can't do that with a bin or tub!

Bins for shore diving. At home I have an entire large closet in the garage devoted to scuba gear (5 divers in the family)... 10 wetsuits hanging, also hang the regulators sets, and the spare regulator sets go in sealed bins..... fins go in a large laundry basket, same for masks and gloves... BP/wings are carefully stacked in their own large bin.... weights and booties and tanks on the floor...

Mesh bag would be what I'd use for boat diving... if I ever did any boat diving.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom