Gear set up question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris P. D.

Reaction score
Just curious to know what anyone thought about getting a double tank setup for my BC for just recreational diving? I found carrying my 19 cu ft. pony bottle strapped to my 80cu ft. tank with a whole complete 1st and 2nd stage reg. throws my balance off while nuetral plus i could sure use the extra air. I also dive solo if this helps.

I dove with doubles on a BC throughout most of the 1980s. It can be done, but you need to ensure your BC is compatible - it requires some sort of attachment points in a material stiff enough to support the bands. The Transpac is one I'm aware of. There are likely many others.

You needn't go with huge doubles, either. Double 50s offer something on the order of 20% more gas than an aluminum 80 (depends on the 80). Double alum 63s or steel 45s or 72s offer plenty of gas for deeper NDL recreational diving. You have many options, most of which depend heavily on the type of diving you do, where you do it, and how you go about it.

Twinsets offer balance and stability, and redundant regulators. There are also some consequences, such as needing two sets for lengthy offshore 'two-tank dive days' - you won't always get two (safe) dives off a set of small tanks. If you want to essentially conduct two dives off one set of doubles, each dive with the gas you'd have in an 80 - guess what? You wind up with double 80s. Fills can be a PITA (sometimes twinsets bolt to a BC (not bp/wing) in a way that is inconvenient to unbolt for fills). There is additional expense. As with most things in life, it can certainly be done. Whether it will work for you or not is up to some sort of cost/benefit analysis that takes your personal circumstances into consideration.

Dive safe.

I used a set of double A80's with my zeagle Ranger. They are mad to boly right on. It worked, but I think if I was going to spend any money I would go with a back plate and wings.

I have a set of twin 72's with a military harness and horse collar BC I use if I need extra gas. Old tech but it works for me.

Captain

Chris P. D.:
Just curious to know what anyone thought about getting a double tank setup for my BC for just recreational diving? I found carrying my 19 cu ft. pony bottle strapped to my 80cu ft. tank with a whole complete 1st and 2nd stage reg. throws my balance off while nuetral plus i could sure use the extra air. I also dive solo if this helps.

If you sling your pony in front of you, it won't throw off your trim.

The nice thing about a 20 cu ft is that you can use it as a stage, slung, for relatively shallow dives.

IndigoBlue:
If you sling your pony in front of you, it won't throw off your trim.

The nice thing about a 20 cu ft is that you can use it as a stage, slung, for relatively shallow dives.

I thought about that too but i just have this problem with being to bogged down with a bunch of crap strapped to my front.

jgarysmith:
I used a set of double A80's with my zeagle Ranger. They are mad to boly right on. It worked, but I think if I was going to spend any money I would go with a back plate and wings.

I two use a zeagle ranger and am going to look into the back plate and wings. Did you have to put on more weight using double 80's?

Yes, but only to prevent the added b0uancy you get towards the end of the dive. You can get a weight that bolts to your tanks that makes it easier than increasing your weight pockets. For rec diving, until you get a BP and Wings it works OK. Even when I get a BP and wings, I am going to keep my Ranger for singles and any trips I might take. It is a great BC with alot of dives on it and in a pinch you can still double it. Do you know if a back plate can be used with it? I know that there is a set up with 2 small plates my LDS has that offers more support and stability whenusing the Ranger.

jgarysmith:
Yes, but only to prevent the added b0uancy you get towards the end of the dive. You can get a weight that bolts to your tanks that makes it easier than increasing your weight pockets. For rec diving, until you get a BP and Wings it works OK. Even when I get a BP and wings, I am going to keep my Ranger for singles and any trips I might take. It is a great BC with alot of dives on it and in a pinch you can still double it. Do you know if a back plate can be used with it? I know that there is a set up with 2 small plates my LDS has that offers more support and stability whenusing the Ranger.
I'm not quite sure to be honest? This might be a stupid question but what's the difference? The two small plates compared to backplate? My BC is not but a year old.

Back
Top Bottom