Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the reviews on ScubaBoard -- and I use them to decide gear -- so here a short review of the Eddy fins. Like ScubaWithTurk, I also like the robustness of the spring straps. I think the weight, derived power, and buoyancy are good. I think they drain quite quickly and surely dry much faster than the boots, so I don't mind the two holes. The boots are very comfy. I would not classify the fins as floppy. Yes, the stiffness decreases over the length but the ends are still stiffer than other fins that I have used.

However, for my medium-high arches, and consequently, medium to high bridges, the large size fins gave me bridge blisters by dive number 9, or day 3, on the boat. I wear a size 9-medium width; for running, I prefer medium Currex insoles to high. The only wet rubbing comparison I can think of is running or biking hours in rain -- never received bridge blisters before. So, ScubaWithTurk and I have very different takes on the comfortableness of the foot pocket: it's plenty wide and deep, but the height is not appropriate for my feet. I ended up swapping to Scubapros for the last 4 days on the boat.

I got these in after all the praise and hype on the forum, and it's a total disappointment for me.
They are very stiff, and after 3 days of diving, they started to hurt my ankles badly. I had to put them away for the entire duration of the trip, and they will collect dust now.

I got these in after all the praise and hype on the forum, and it's a total disappointment for me.
They are very stiff, and after 3 days of diving, they started to hurt my ankles badly. I had to put them away for the entire duration of the trip, and they will collect dust now.

Do you use frog kick or flutter?

Mostly frog and a bit of flutter in wrecks. In side mount I liked Jetfins way more than Eddy's.

I appreciate all the reviews on ScubaBoard -- and I use them to decide gear -- so here a short review of the Eddy fins. Like ScubaWithTurk, I also like the robustness of the spring straps. I think the weight, derived power, and buoyancy are good. I think they drain quite quickly and surely dry much faster than the boots, so I don't mind the two holes. The boots are very comfy. I would not classify the fins as floppy. Yes, the stiffness decreases over the length but the ends are still stiffer than other fins that I have used.

However, for my medium-high arches, and consequently, medium to high bridges, the large size fins gave me bridge blisters by dive number 9, or day 3, on the boat. I wear a size 9-medium width; for running, I prefer medium Currex insoles to high. The only wet rubbing comparison I can think of is running or biking hours in rain -- never received bridge blisters before. So, ScubaWithTurk and I have very different takes on the comfortableness of the foot pocket: it's plenty wide and deep, but the height is not appropriate for my feet. I ended up swapping to Scubapros for the last 4 days on the boat.

Get yourself some lycra socks for inside your booties and that will probably be the end of your blister problem. Please let me know if that turns out not to be the case.

I’ll second that. That’s why I bought them though (I wasn’t thrilled with how floppy my Apeks RK3’s were in the water).

If you’re not used to them...they’re a workout . You have to adapt your finning technique from your previous fins to enjoy these. Just my $.02...

I loved RK3's after Eddy's no pain but gain, but I figured I have too light floaty feet and I need heavier fins. Now I am looking to get either slipstreams or jetfins but I haven't tried slipstreams. RK3 HD is also an option but again need to find where to try them.

@Barnaby'sDad what makes you particulary like so stiff fins? I am happy to be proven wrong and find my fins Jesus with these but I struggled so far.

I loved RK3's after Eddy's no pain but gain, but I figured I have too light floaty feet and I need heavier fins. Now I am looking to get either slipstreams or jetfins but I haven't tried slipstreams. RK3 HD is also an option but again need to find where to try them.

@Barnaby'sDad what makes you particulary like so stiff fins? I am happy to be proven wrong and find my fins Jesus with these but I struggled so far.

The biggest difference to me is the weight. I had the exact opposite issue that you did. My feet tended to “sink” in my previous fins. These lighter fins corrected that issue for me.

Kick wise...to me...they feel more responsive and precise.

The only downside/trade-off (to me) is that finning with them is a real workout. I can see why some people don’t like them, but on the flip side...I can see why some people really like them.

Different strokes for different folks.

I love mine. Had them about 9 months.

But need a pair of XXL to use with boots and they have been out of stock for months...

If you flutter kicks.. Eddy's are not the fin for you.

They will work to flutter but you will tire quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom