Gear removal at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Not even in training, Richard?

R..

Why would you train for something that increases your risks? DIR is about a team. Taking off gear to get into a wreck or cave prevents an orderly exit if there is a problem - very bad idea. For wrecks the answer is simply don't go there. Where it is really small cave there is sidemount but that is a very suboptimal solution and most of the true players (even in Mexico) don't really use it since there are plenty of backmount accessible cave to be explored still. For any other entaglements, getting "keyed" in a restriction due to an argon bottle, etc., you have teammates there to assist.

RTodd:
Why would you train for something that increases your risks?

I was just a little surprised that IANTD would train this and the GUE doesn't. It's the first time I've heard that.

Even if you never use it, or are trained to rely on the team it still strikes me that the exercise could be valuable for familiarity and comfort with the gear.....

That's why I was asking.

R..

I think at that level of them game, these gents (GUE) don't have a problem with comfort and familiarity with the gear. It's already a given or you wouldn't be there with them in the first place.

It doesn't surprise me at all that GUE wouldn't train for stuff like this.

Hmmm, how do they train for CESA's would be my question..... :wink: lol

So much of the nonsense training that's out there could be totally elliminated if folks would just start training with the idea of "team" in mind all the time, just as I believe RTodd is saying.

RTodd:
.. DIR does not remove backplate, cave or otherwise. It didn't save PT so it sure wouldn't work for anyone on this list.

Isnt that what I said...???

Scuba_Steve:
I think at that level of them game, these gents (GUE) don't have a problem with comfort and familiarity with the gear. It's already a given or you wouldn't be there with them in the first place.

I'm not so sure about that. Prerequisite for Tech1 is Dir-F and 100 odd dives.... Doesn't look to me like people have to be uber-divers or even have experience in doubles to start with the training........

Anyway, I'm not trying to make a big point about it. It just surprised me to hear it.

If I understand Richard, then the take-home message is that it isn't done because of team focus as opposed to necessarily being totally sorted to start with...

R..

It's not the dir-f/rec type dives I'm referring to, we're talking gear removel etc etc which I guess some people must be having to do quite regularly in caves and wrecks (i've yet to have a need for myself) which understandably is not neccessarily dir-f only qualified students. More than likely these are, as I understand it tech and cave qualified folks.

Ii really have to ask what a rec diver is doing that they're getting into the position to believe that removing their gear is a viable option. I'd suggest the plan started to unravel long before they got to that point.

But silly me, I think the same thing about a CESA as well :wink:

Is it bad if I tell my student if they ever find themselves in a situation to do a CESA, that they should be rethinking the whole scuba diving thing?........I should add gear R&R on the bottom to that list as well. :D lol

Doc Intrepid:
Define a scenario involving a team of three technical divers in which removal of one's rig would be the optimal response. I'm having difficulty envisioning a single circumstance where removing one's rig would be the best response available.

Cave in on a wreck eliminating exit point. Alternate exit is too tight for an exit wearing gear, which means first team member must either pass gear or self through first, without a team member on other side to help.

Xanthro:
Cave in on a wreck eliminating exit point. Alternate exit is too tight for an exit wearing gear, which means first team member must either pass gear or self through first, without a team member on other side to help.
Yes. It would be best to leave your gear on and die DIR. Remember Rule 6.

JeffG:
Yes. It would be best to leave your gear on and die DIR. Remember Rule 6.

If you are DIR you can't die. Geesh, Jeff, you should know that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom