Gear removal at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First of all, I did the search :) Couldn't find anything.

There are a hundred threads about ditchable weight vs non-ditchable. Every one of them deals with the issue of swimming the rig up in the case of the loss of boyancy but none of them (that I found) deal with the possibility of having to remove the rig at depth. In a drysuit especially, or even wet for that matter, if you have a need to remove the rig (such as the case of entanglement) and you are not wearing the weight independent from it, aren't you in a bit of trouble?

I dive single hp120's and a drysuit with a 6lb plate. I use an additional 12 lbs in halcyon style pockets. Recently I have been considering going back to a belt for this very reason. If I remove the rig I cannot maintain depth.

Does "Doing It Right" include planning for this possibility?

Thanks in advance,

Ideally you would have your buddy remove what ever you are stuck in or is stuck on you.

But I can also say from experience that I have removed my BP/Wing with integrated weights in both a 7mm wet suit and drysuit with no undue problems. With the 7mm wet suit and with the dry suit (as long as you vent all of the gas from the suit) you are positively bouyant but not so much that you cannot control or to cause you to lose your grip on the BP/wing.

My advice would be to practice this in a pool before trying it in open water and furthermore to avoid it at all on a deco dive due to the potential to both be separated from your gas and end up in an uncontrolled ascent - rely on your buddy instead.

As above in a DIR diveing situation your team is right there to lend a hand in extracting you from the entanglement.

If you need to remove the unit however the trick will be to keep it close to your body (very close). This is really a pool practice item and not not not an open water item.

Tollie:
As above in a DIR diveing situation your team is right there to lend a hand in extracting you from the entanglement.

If you need to remove the unit however the trick will be to keep it close to your body (very close). This is really a pool practice item and not not not an open water item.

If you go IANTD you'll be made to take it all the way off in open water and prove that you can handle it and get it back on again....

I honestly don't know what the DIR answer to this would be but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable if my configuration made kit removal under water unnecessarily difficult.

R..

I dont believe removing tanks and wing/plate is part of DIR OW scanarios. As mentioned before, your team is there to help you. In caves it can be different, if going through a major restriction..........you may have to remove gear. But this is seldom, and only when doing exploration...' to boldly go where no man has ever been before'........

But then I again, I could be talking out of my @ss

:)

My wife was wearing a mix of belt and integrated weight for her check-out dives. For her D&D exercise she just needed to keep her rig close to her and they stayed down together. Be sure to dump any and all air from the bladder and suit if applicable.

Pete

Define a scenario involving a team of three technical divers in which removal of one's rig would be the optimal response. I'm having difficulty envisioning a single circumstance where removing one's rig would be the best response available.

The entire idea behind the team is to eliminate the need for gyrations that increase exertion and CO2 retention. While removing one's rig is certainly plausible, in any sort of confined space (read "cave, passageway inside wreck, etc.") it would not be done without stirring up sediment and reducing visibility to zero. I suspect there are better options so long as a team is involved.

With respect to this question:
TheDivingPreacher:
"Does DIR F even address the issue of weight on the body vs weight on the rig?"
DIR-F addresses trim, and thus weight to the extent that it must be located (either on the rig or the body) in such a manner that the diver may trim out with minimal effort. Where the weight needs to be located will vary based on different body types, builds, and individual physical characteristics.

spectrum:
My wife was wearing a mix of belt and integrated weight for her check-out dives. For her D&D exercise she just needed to keep her rig close to her and they stayed down together. Be sure to dump any and all air from the bladder and suit if applicable.

Pete
Pete,

Was this done in a DIR class?

Christian

Meng_Tze:
I dont believe removing tanks and wing/plate is part of DIR OW scanarios. As mentioned before, your team is there to help you. In caves it can be different, if going through a major restriction..........you may have to remove gear. But this is seldom, and only when doing exploration...' to boldly go where no man has ever been before'........

But then I again, I could be talking out of my @ss

:)

You are talking out of your @ss. DIR does not remove backplate, cave or otherwise. It didn't save PT so it sure wouldn't work for anyone on this list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom