Gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben_wilson3301

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a White's drysuit and at the same time I bought a Whites semi-dry hood and gloves. I am happy with the suit and hood but the gloves are sooooo thick and stiff. I knew they would be 5mm but these things are extreme. I think I will keep them for ice diving or some other extreme application but my question is...

What are your favorite gloves and why? My hands stay pretty warm all the time, even in cold water. The last time I was in 62F water I chose to wear no gloves or hood. What Im really looking for are gloves that offer some thermal protection with maximum dexterity and durability for use with a 5mm wetsuit or a shell drysuit in 50-70F degree water.

Last edited:
Well, although limited experience, I have been very impressed with the dry gloves that I use when I dive. I can manipulate objects and operate my camera with them and that never happened when I was using wet gloves. That only helps you with the dry suit though...

In water temps 50-70 I would suggest atleast 5mm Gloves. i dive the Akona 5mm Gloves and have absolutly no problems using them. i can manipulate everything clip/unclip without any problems. I also have Henderson hyerstretch H2 7mm Gloves and they feel to be about the same as the 5mm but keep my hands warmer. As of recently I have been using my Drygloves and still for me is not an issue.

I would try on a few pairs if your looking something to keep your hands warm but not feel as thick. look into the Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm. I have not tried them but after using the 7mm i would think the 5mm would probably feel like others 3.

My instructor suggested Pinacle 2mm for most of his dives and keeping the Whites for the really cold stuff. Does anyone have any experience with the Pinacle's?

I have been told that the hyperstretch gloves were very good for dexterity but have heard from others that they aren't built very well and don't last. Any comments?

I have had mine for about year but have not used them that often. They have about 3-5 Dives. They look still like new. No seems coing apart or threads loosening. Henderson is a Big company who makes a quality product. I have never used Pinnacle's gloves but I am sure theres will be good also. I would go to your LDS and try out both pairs.

The Fourth Element 5mm gloves are unlike any others. They are extremely pliable and have a great dexterity and tactility. I use them both wet and dry. If you have a Whites Fusion, they sandwich nicely between the latex seal and the neoprene "overcuff."

If your core is warm, the need for gloves is reduced as your body does not reduce the blood flow to the extremeties. So the good news is that a dry suit delays the onset of the need for gloves. Of course, once the water temp exceeds the ability of your undergarments to keep you warm, you are going to need gloves realy really bad.

There are three types I'd recommend every diver have if they do both warm and cold water.

1) protective gloves to protect your hands in wrecks, etc. (thin leather palm, stretchy back, very little if any thermal protection.)

2) 3mm gloves for warm to cool water when the need exists. They don't really have a serious impact on dexterity if they fit properly.

3) 5mm gloves for cold water.

If you dive really cold water and use a dry suit, 5mm gloves are usually enough even for ice diving, provided you insulate your core enough to keep it warm.

Dry gloves are another option for exteme cold water dives, or for extemelylong dives in cold water. But they are a catch 22. If too loose they are a PITA, and if too snug, they are cold as they lack the airspace needed to loft the glove liner insulation. You need a perfect fit between your hands, the liners and the gloves for them to work really well in cold water without losing dexterity. And. the glove rings area PITA and get in the way of stage bottles etc. Also, they are prone to being pounctured and flooded and when that happens the are just plain cold, so if working around wrecks, rusty cables, sharp objects, etc. wet gloves make a lot more sense.

If you practice diving in your 5mm gloves, diving any of the rest is really easy. For example, I practice laying line, placing jump lines, cookies etc at depth in 5mm gloves and 42 degree water. When you have that mastered, putting in a jump in 3mm gloves, thin protective gloves or with your bare hands is a snap.

How the gloves fit is important. They need to conform to your hand with no voids or loose areas in order to minimize water circulation, yet you do not want them to be too tight as that wil restrct circulation.

Gloves also get old and when that happens the seams begin to leak. Leaking seams equal cold gloves, so when you fel that happening demote them to warmer water use and get a new pair for cold water use.

I like henderson gold core gloves, and find they go on with less stain on you or the glove if you use just a bit of water based lube (KY, etc) in the glove to help it slide on. The gloves will go on quicker and last longer before the seams get stressed and leak.

Back
Top Bottom