Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most things actually, I usually do research pretty well.

Only major regret I had was initial BCD (was a bit too big, and I lost a tonne of weight promptly after). And I still haven’t found fins I really like.

My regulator (Mares Abyss 52X) and computer (Suunto Eon Core) we’re both technically out of my budget when I bought them and I had immediate buyers remorse after I saw the hit to the bank balance (before I was even certified), but now a good few dives in and looking at more advanced and cold water diving, I’m soooo glad I spent the extra. The computer in particular - I don’t think I could live with a normal crappy dive computer screen after the EON.

That sounds a bit strange. The manager of Pacific Wilderness is Jon Davies. He is a long time friend of both Eric and me, and he dives a Freedom plate.

If the right people weren't there and the wrong people were when Aloha Joe waltzed through the front door... I could see this happening. Definitely wouldn't have happened if Jon was there. Jon and I have also discussed the Freedom Plate and Eric (full disclosure.... I am a happy FP owner).

I got some labels for gear from here. They ship from the Phillippines, so take a couple of weeks to arrive. They are really nice quality and stick well. They can put your name alone, name plus a phone #, or name plus an email, and you can choose either dive flags, or something like your agency logo for the little pics on the labels. Also, you can ask for different configurations of what labels you want (like a mix of sizes). You just need to email Ray to ask him to do something custom.

I got one set that had the typical assortment of sizes, but for the 2nd set I asked for just small and medium sizes since that's what I use most. I also asked him for a mix of upper and lowercase letters and a different font (no it wasn't Comic Sans).

I have them on everything. Helped me get my reel back at the dive park a few weeks ago when someone "found" it while we had it tied in doing some practice. :wink:

1. bp/w (mostly hollis with a few other misc. bits)
2. freediving fins - any and all of them. I love them all.
3. prescription mask (it's SO much better diving when you can see - plus this was a gift)
4. sealife camera gear (another amazing gift)
5. 1mm open cell wetsuit (omg comfortable)
6. i300 computer (very basic but has been reliable from OW class on and will be a decent if limited backup computer when I get my teric)
7. Neoprene mask strap - something so basic and yet so indispensable it ended up way down here because I forgot to add it.
8. Stahlsac mesh backpack - I can actually carry all my gear myself! I mean I have to make a separate trip for weights but still (and use a collapsible wagon for tanks but that's just being efficient...)

Bungee mounts, blaze orange bungee cord & reel/spoon line. Love my tyre paint pen - it writes white creating high visible writing on black equipment.

Scubapro MK10
Scubapro MK20
Scubapro G250
Scubapro Jet Fins
Scubapro Bottom Timer
Oxycheq 55lb Wing
Old School Dive Rite Primary Reels
PST 104 Doubles
Salvo/Light Monkey 21W HID Light
Shearwater Perdix
Seaskin Crushed Neoprene Drysuit

My Ortlieb Duffle 85L.

Practical, light, Completely waterproof, strong...

I have the feeling that my daretodive bp/wing will join the list but I want to give it a few more dives before giving a definitive judgment.

1: Fourth Element Thermocline LS shirt and socks for wetsuit
2: BP/w Tecline Donut 15 for single cilinder
3: UTD Neoprene mask strap
4: BTS dry gloves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom