Gear priorities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilulfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

My wife and I are new divers from New Jersey. We did one dive in Barbados in the spring of 2004 and then got our Open Water certification in Jamaica in the fall of the same year.

This year we will be taking our first diving trip for ten days in Bonaire. After doing a lot of research I discovered that Bonaire is a very good place for novice divers, aside from having some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

My question is about gear in general. We obviously cannot afford, nor want to buy all new gear at once so we need to prioritize our purchases in some way. I was wondering if any of you experienced divers can give me some feedback as far what is best to get first and what can be bought over time and what, if anything, can be just rented on the spot.

We would like to find the best compromise between safety, economic sense, and portability.

We both already own our masks, snorkels, fins, and boots, and after reading many of the posts on this board about gear, I've made a list of gear priorities:

1. Wetsuit
2. Dive computer
3. Dive console
4. Regulator
5. Octopus
6. BCD

The reason why I put BCD last is simply because of portability. Even though I've been reading that it's much better to have one own's BCD, they are so big and heavy that it would probably be the last purchase we do, if ever.

We would probably buy one item or two for each diving trip we take so, eventually, we'll own all our diving gear in a few years. But for starters, we really want to get what people think are the most important (e.g. essential) things.

For this reason, I am thinking of buying wetsuits and maybe computers for our first trip.

Any opinions?

I agree with wetsuit first especially since you're probably talking about a 3mm, (maybe 5) and the cost is easy on the pocketbook, For your money you get assured of a well fitting warm suit, the hygiene is a bonus.

Dive computer goes to the end of the list. Tables should do fine for your early dives and it's best that you cement those skills before you get lazy.

So get your BC second. It's the core of all your cordination and buoyancy control and that is what you need to master.

Primary and alternate regulators and instruments will be bought together. Nobody will want to rent them to you piece meal. As a novice diver rental rear will meet your needs nicely. Pay attention to what you like and dislike, you will be better informed whan you do go to buy.

Pete

Hiya,

I would put them in this order:

1. Wetsuit
2. Regulator and secondary and SPG
3. Depth gauge
4. Watch
5. BCD

I would not worry about a computer at this point. You have your basic limits, the tables you were trained on, an inexpensive watch for keeping time and a depth gauge for monitoring depth. I would not buy a console but use a compact SPG by itself and use the depth gauge on a wrist mount strapped to your right arm. If you have to reach down to your left to monitor depth, it will be difficult to control buoyancy with your left simultaneously.

The regulator is the heart of SCUBA. Make this purchase one of your earliest ones, and make it good.

I would rent the BCD locally and use it to make sure you are weighted properly and that the inflator is not sticking. You do not want to find this stuff out on the boat or in the water.

This is just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Have fun!

-V

Thank you for the info Pete.

I was thinking about the computer issue vs. tables also but I guess I got sidetracked by the fact that on this board many people advised on having a computer in Bonaire because of the multiple shore dive possibilities.

How I'd prioritze things, with some reasoning:

1) Wetsuit - Rental suits don't always fit right / most people aren't comfortable diving in something other people have pissed in. Can make sure to get exactly what you need.

2) Regulator / Octo / Console - Buying all three at once makes the most sense, 2nd in the list because this is what you're breathing out of. I love my regulator, it breathes awesome at depth, and I know exactly how it has been used / serviced.

3) BCD - Another component that can greatly increase the comfort of a dive. Having your own lets you get it set up exactly how you want it, and gets you used to always having your gear in the same place / pockets.

4) Computer - You already have a great one on your shoulders, just learn how to use the dive tables and you'll be fine. A computer is a great accessory, but not a necessary piece of diving gear.

Hope that helps,

-Brandon.

agilulfo:
Thank you for the info Pete.

I was thinking about the computer issue vs. tables also but I guess I got sidetracked by the fact that on this board many people advised on having a computer in Bonaire because of the multiple shore dive possibilities.

I did forget to add my standard line that if you're going on that once in a lifetime dive trip with intense repeteive diving then you may want to advance the computer purchase for that reason. This is very true on some boats that require them. As for shore diving on Bonaire I'll defer to other members considering the depths you may reach and your stamina for intense repetetive dives as new divers. Tables do allow for repetetive diving but do not give credit for multilevel dives.

Pete

You can generally rent all these things, certainly in Bonaire.

I would put a wetsuit high on the list for lots of reasons I'm sure you've read, but do you have an idea what you need? Everyone is different. I've never used more than a lycra skin in Bonaire which can be cheap (maybe allowing you to buy something else) and it takes almost no room in your luggage. You could get something like that, it's handy to have no matter what and if it's not enough you can rent a shorty to put over it. Shorty's are pretty common for rental as they're easier to fit, don't have to worry about length. This was you would have something between you and the rental suit, and you would still be better covered against accidental bumps or stingy things in the water.

I would probably put the BC next. There are good reasons you've been reading that it's much better to have your own. Having one that fits and you are used to is so important to being comfortable in the water. If you're serious about this (which it sounds like you are since you're already talking about multiple future dive trips) you should get one. It really is not that hard to pack, lots of people do it. (And for most dive destinations you don't need to pack a lot of fancy clothes, so that helps.) If you are only using this for warm water travel you can look for BCs that are more compact and better designed for travel.

Some will say to get the computer last, but I might put that next as they are very handy for typical vacation diving if you are doing at least 3 per day. Definitely get one that does Nitrox even if you're not certified for it yet, and I would suggest a wrist mount and skipping AI. (It will pretty much have to be anyway, if you don't have your console/reg setup yet.) You can rent computers more and more places now, and a few places now even loan you one if you don't have one, but it's nice to be familiar with how yours operates.

Console, octopus and regulator you will want to get at the same time. You don't really want to have part of a complete setup, then try to rent the other pieces to put on it. I'm not even sure if most places will rent that way, you'd probably wind up renting the whole setup anyway. So not much point in getting part of it, just wait until you can get the whole thing. The octo and a simple console with pressure gauge, and maybe a depth gauge if you want a backup to your computer, won't cost a huge amount. Once upon a time I would have put the reg much higher if not first on the list, but I've changed my mind over time. As long as you are renting from someplace with well maintained trustworthy gear, well at least there's not much of anything to "get used to" on a reg. And if you are someplace the rental regs are crap, you probably don't want to rent their BCs or much of anything else either. It is also the most expensive piece of gear to maintain. Check when you decide where you're staying, but I'd expect almost anyplace in Bonaire to have pretty good rental gear.

Wetsuit 1st and you don't need to spend a bundle on it. And if you plan on doing any diving around home the 3 or 5 will most likely not be enough for atlantic waters anyway so don't spend a fortune on it. As long as it fits well that's all that matters.
Next is reg,octo,and 3 guage (spg,maxdepth, compass)console along with some type of timing device. You should not be relying on anyone else to time your dives. This is your life line and as such, you IMO, need to know that it's been regularly serviced, how it breathes and who's been using it. A bc is a BC at your level of experience and in warm water for the type of dives you will most likely do a rental from a good op should be fine. They will also most likely allow you to check it out in the resort pool. In fact I believe you may be required to do a checkout in the pool before you can dive. This is good as it will allow you to become familiar with the gear and ask and have answered any questions. As for a computer and multiple dives keep good track of your times and depths and use your tables dilligently and you'll be fine. You should have a good quality dive watch anyway and they are cheap(25-75 on the lower end,see timex) and if not some type of bottom timer. You may even be able to rent one. The other option is to see if a local shop will rent you a reg with computer/timer if you simply cannot afford to buy one now. Please consider this seriously. Wet suits are so inexpensive that if you can get it and a reg first do so.

Vayu:
Hiya,

I would put them in this order:

1. Wetsuit
2. Regulator and secondary and SPG
3. Depth gauge
4. Watch
5. BCD

I'd agree with this order, but substitute 3 and 4 with a computer. When you get your computer, keep doing the tables, just so you don't forget them. You'll need tables in case you don't have your computer for some reason, so its good to know how to use them.
I'd definitely skip the console, and just have a simple SPG on your regs. Wrist mounted computer/depth guage is so much easier.
Also concider getting a compass, again, wrist mounted is just so much easier.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

It seems everyone agrees on the wetsuit first, which is good because at least I'll get that out of the way :)

The computer issue seems a sticky one. My reasoning for putting it second was because even though I do understand that we do need to practice our tables I am not sure that a 10 day trip with multiple daily dives would be a good place to do so simply because there is more room for mistakes, especially since we are not experienced to begin with.

My reasoning was to use the tables but also have a simple wrist computer just for backup, in case we screw up with our calculations and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom