Gear pockets with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I changed over to a BP/W and a drysuit for my cold water diving. The drysuit has 2 nice bellow pockets for all my extra gear, but I also dive warm water in my 3mm wetsuit and am working out where to keep my stuff. For rec diving, 1 bellow pocket will hold all I need, but where to put it?

I got a Dive Rite strap on thigh pocket Dive Rite Bellows Thigh RZ Pocket and am not happy with it. In order for it to not be sliding all around at 100ft, I have to almost cut of circulation at the surface.

I've seen some glue on options, but am worried my nice Aqualung suit won't stretch right after gluing the pocket.

I'm considering an OMS bellows pocket OMS Cargo Pocket for Harness for the right side.

And then there are tech shorts, but the quality ones like the Apex Tech Shorts ones are crazy expensive, seem like a hassle for rec diving, and I'm worried about how well they actually stay up once the suit compresses.

Thoughts? Thx.

I use a Dive Rite vertical bellows pocket on my harness waist strap, on the right side where a canister light might otherwise go, since I rarely use a canister light for warm-water diving. The long hose tucks under the pocket as it would under the canister. The OMS pocket you referred to looks similar. Halcyon makes one as well.

What are you trying to carry besides a dsmb with spool?
DSMB is the most important thing, but I also carry wetnotes, and sometimes a rolled up snorkel. Starting to question why I bother with the snorkel.

I use a Dive Rite vertical bellows pocket on my harness waist strap, on the right side where a canister light might otherwise go, since I rarely use a canister light for warm-water diving. The long hose tucks under the pocket as it would under the canister. The OMS pocket you referred to looks similar. Halcyon makes one as well.
Yeah, that was my thinking. I leave my canister light at home when I travel.

Leave the snorkel. Use a bolt snap to attach your smb to your waistband d-ring. You can also rig something up where you snap off the smb directly to your backplate. Check Piranha for all sorts of cool doo-dads and clip-off thingies.

someone write this down, I'm recommending someone buy Halcyon! The world may burn as a result

This is the best pocket on the market for what you want. It is full size, velcro cover, two loops, drain holes, etc. It has the toothed triglides it stays on your right hip where it belongs. Thread it on your right hip and you're good to go. The Dive Rite one needs either a buckle or a d-ring to hold it in place. I've tried most of the pockets on the market, this is the best, I own two. I hate to admit it because they're expensive, but this is one of the few things that they have that is truly the best on the market.
Halcyon Dive Systems

FWIW, I have about 140 dives on my Apeks tech shorts, and I have never had a problem getting them to stay up. I've worn them over a 7mm wetsuit to depths greater than 100 feet, and I don't even have to tighten the belt. The pockets are a good size, with D rings and a thin inner pouch inside for things like slates and wetnotes.
Mine are wearing a bit thin now but are still perfectly functional. Plus they've likely saved me some wear and tear on my wetsuit, especially in the crotch strap area.

For wetsuit diving, I use Pirahna Dive Mfg.'s tech shorts and my son uses Highland tech shorts. I really, really like his and recommend that you take a look at them. The pockets are well made and designed and the shorts stay in place, even with wetsuit compression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom