Gear organization advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Alright, seeking advice.
I'm using the normal black with yellow top gear bins. I've put thick bungee around the inside perimeter to clip backup lights and spools off which has helped considerably.
I'm still stuck with how to keep the regulators from getting jumbled up and hooked on each other. I normally travel with a doubles reg set, sidemount reg set, and at least 4x stage/deco regs. The stage/deco regs all have a second hose on them to be able to plug into rebreathers, and the others are pretty standard except for an extra QC6 hose on the right posts of both sidemount/doubles.
I've thought about just biting the bullet and getting reg bags for everything, but then I've got to make sure to take them out to dry properly after the trip, then restow, etc, and they're $25 each at Cave Adventurers and needing to buy at least 4 is somewhat painful to think about. Realistically it'll be 5-6 once I get the rest of the stage regs finished. I've tried velcro cable ties which worked, but were rather annoying. Any suggestions here welcomed.
Currently looks like this
2020-02-02.jpg

Next one is a portable charging station. I used to use a milk-crate, but it's not weather-proof and makes packing somewhat challenging when diving with my buddy in his pickup truck. I'm thinking Pelican case, but figured I'd see if anyone had any better suggestions. I'd like for it to have one plug so when I'm travelling or in my garage I'm not having to unpack all of the chargers.

duplicate

Alright, seeking advice.
I'm using the normal black with yellow top gear bins. I've put thick bungee around the inside perimeter to clip backup lights and spools off which has helped considerably.
I'm still stuck with how to keep the regulators from getting jumbled up and hooked on each other. I normally travel with a doubles reg set, sidemount reg set, and at least 4x stage/deco regs. The stage/deco regs all have a second hose on them to be able to plug into rebreathers, and the others are pretty standard except for an extra QC6 hose on the right posts of both sidemount/doubles.
I've thought about just biting the bullet and getting reg bags for everything, but then I've got to make sure to take them out to dry properly after the trip, then restow, etc, and they're $25 each at Cave Adventurers and needing to buy at least 4 is somewhat painful to think about. Realistically it'll be 5-6 once I get the rest of the stage regs finished. I've tried velcro cable ties which worked, but were rather annoying. Any suggestions here welcomed.
Next one is a portable charging station. I used to use a milk-crate, but it's not weather-proof and makes packing somewhat challenging when diving with my buddy in his pickup truck. I'm thinking Pelican case, but figured I'd see if anyone had any better suggestions. I'd like for it to have one plug so when I'm travelling or in my garage I'm not having to unpack all of the chargers.

For your regs, would sticking a square bucket in your bin work? just coil the hoses and stack in the bucket. if your bin is big enough, put 2 buckets in, one for your primary reg sets and one for the others.

upload_2020-2-2_19-54-55.jpeg

-Z

Milk crate is what I was suggested to use for regulators.

@Manatee Diver and @Zef I used to use milk crates and they work fine for 2 or 3 reg sets, i.e. doubles and a deco bottle, or sidemount and a deco bottle, etc. but since I have to carry a minimum of 5 and usually 7-8, it gets a little annoying when you have to dig in the bottom and still doesn't prevent them from getting entangled with each other *short SPG hoses like to hook onto other things*

You're going to have to go with reg bags. We originally used the same crate you have, but recently downsized to the LM milk crate. No matter what bin we used, the regs became a jumble. Reg bags make life easier. The hardest part is finding the right one. We have a bunch. I've got a poseidon one they don't make any more that holds a doubles reg set, and 2 stage/deco regs. I have a no name brand black one that will hold 2 sets of doubles regs, 2 stage, and 2 deco regs, and still has room for more. The best one we have is a Halcyon that will hold 2 doubles sets, 3 stage/deco. It took a while to find the right bags, but you save money and space going big enough to hold at least one set of doubles regs and 2 deco/stage. Also, you don't need to pull the regs out to dry. We simply throw the regs back in neatly and then when we unload the car, just open the bag and put something on the top so that the opening stays nice and wide open.

@rddvet which milk crates are you talking about?
I may go back to milk crates, but it doesn't sort out transporting the BC and fins. I may end up having to talk to Edd and see if he'll give me a bulk discount on his reg bags. I'm not sure I would want to put more than a pair of regs in each bag though. I think it would be easier to see "doubles" on the bag and just not grab it, same with "sidemount", "stage", and "deco". He's got them running at $23 each right now which isn't terribly painful

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom