Gear organization advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rddvet which milk crates are you talking about?
I may go back to milk crates, but it doesn't sort out transporting the BC and fins. I may end up having to talk to Edd and see if he'll give me a bulk discount on his reg bags. I'm not sure I would want to put more than a pair of regs in each bag though. I think it would be easier to see "doubles" on the bag and just not grab it, same with "sidemount", "stage", and "deco". He's got them running at $23 each right now which isn't terribly painful

The LM Milk crate isn't anything special it's just a regular milk crate except rectangular instead of square. I added some bungee. I had an issue with those yellow topped crates where I closed one up after I thought everything was perfectly dry. I opened it a month later and everything was covered in mold. Apparently something was just wet enough eventhough I left it open for 3 days to dry. The LM ensures everything is dry.
As for bags, I went and looked and took a photo. I got a cheap Scubamax one that my wife and I share for bailout regs. It still has plenty of room for more regs. I don't currently have stage or deco regs in there. My wife uses the Halcyon bag the most for her sm stuff. She has a sm set and a stage reg in it with tons of extra room. I use the old Poseidon one for sm, and it has 5 regs in it (looks like 4 in the photo, but one's hidden) and it's pretty full. Our BM stuff is in storage bins in the house since we don't use them often anymore. We also have a no name black reg bag we use for travelling that will hold 8 regs in it. It gets heavy as hell. All the bags look different, so we know what's in what bag. I've never grabbed the wrong bag for a dive weekend yet, though I triple check.

I drive to and from the dive site with everything assembled. This way there are no (or at least less) surprises when I get on site.

Clippables all live in a normal milk crate clipped off to bungees ties along the inside edges.

At home, I have Rubbermaid bins that divide gear by type. OC backgas kit (regs, plate, wing) RB backgas (same), stage regs, single tank, vintage stuff, spare parts, misc wings and SMBs.

If I must wait till I get wherever I’m going to assemble my kit, it’s easy to grab the right bin and toss it in the truck.

Lights and cameras live on a section of my bench for charging. Tanks live under the Rubbermaid bin storage shelves. Drysuits and undies go on the shelves too.

Top shelf holds stuff I don’t need to get into often. A few fresh 400g undergarments, a box or two of caths, some spare fins, habitat food tube, etc.

I’ll try to remember to post a pic in a bit.

We drove the 3 hours to cave country regularly with the regs on everything. It was perfectly fine for doubles, but I had an spg on 2 separate occassions get dinged enough to leak on stages. I'm also packing for 2 people, so things are a lot tighter in the car. I eventually gave up on leaving stuff rigged except deco bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_5261.JPG
    IMG_5261.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5264.JPG
    IMG_5264.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5262.JPG
    IMG_5262.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_5263.JPG
    IMG_5263.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5267.JPG
    IMG_5267.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 170
@rddvet thanks, I had never seen a LM marked one before so was curious if there was anything "special" about it. I do leave the lids off of the bins for a couple weeks in the garage, especially if there are any "soft goods" in there. It's a bit annoying, but since it's usually only one bin, it goes on top and works out well.

I got a cheap Scubamax one that my wife and I share for bailout regs.

This is the Scubamax one I got and I like it for the price. It doesn't look like Randy has that size anymore. The one Edd sells looks about the same and has the same dimensions.

You know those BC hangers that have a threaded area to screw a din regulator onto?

UKTSBCHYL.jpg

could the threaded portion be 3d printed like a flange and multiple ones be bolted around the perimeter of your bin?
upload_2020-2-3_0-41-1.jpeg

use reusable Nite Ize gear ties to keep the coiled hoses neat and just screw the din fittings into the flanges?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA91WgUJ-piasr9GM0qtnI5PqonWTlOjBviMrgtS92rs9ww_JlIQ&s.jpg

Perhaps a bit over-engineered solution?

-Z

@Zef I could, I have stl's for din ports, but the first stages aren't the problem, it's the hoses. Those Nite-ize's might not be a bad solution though!

The 1st stages screwed in the and the hoses coiled and bound they should just neatly hang around the rim of the bin. You would then be able to visually organize your regs. and keep them from getting mixed up and snagged on other things. Perhaps some bungee further down to keep the coiled and bound hoses against the side of the bin?

-Z

@Zef if you look at the first picture, the perimeter is pretty full with backup lights, reels, etc. I'd probably only be able to get 6 regs around the perimeter and then the rest of the stuff would have to be loose around the bottom. I'm going to grab some of those nite-ize things and see if they're easy enough to use when I coil everything. If it stays coiled, then it'll work. That all said, half the time I'm too lazy to put the din caps back on...

@Zef if you look at the first picture, the perimeter is pretty full with backup lights, reels, etc. I'd probably only be able to get 6 regs around the perimeter and then the rest of the stuff would have to be loose around the bottom. I'm going to grab some of those nite-ize things and see if they're easy enough to use when I coil everything. If it stays coiled, then it'll work. That all said, half the time I'm too lazy to put the din caps back on...

Perhaps a separate bin with dividers just for the reg sets? just coil and stow:

dv-dividers_1.jpg

-Z

@Zef maybe, but it's still gotta be packable. I'll have to look into dividers of some variety. I may end up moving from this black bin to a pelican case which would give me some more variety

tbone. What did you think of the mesh bag suggestion? I have used a mesh catch bag for my single regulator on occasion. I actually like it better than the reg bag. Similar to this..

https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Catch-Galvanized-Handle/dp/B07D6TGGNP/ref=sr_1_7?crid=36PZ66BW9VHG8&dchild=1&keywords=scuba+mesh+collection+bag&qid=1580691618&sprefix=Scuba+mesh,aps,168&sr=8-7&th=1

If you go with drawstring they are pretty darn cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Spo...91618&sprefix=Scuba+mesh,aps,168&sr=8-12&th=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom