Gear marking, “diving labels”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, I'd suggest an oil based paint on a very well cleaned surface, but it will still likely flake off over time, and oil based is not healthy for sealife.... [...]

Beyond that, I'd suggest Sharpie or some other permanent marker, and refresh the marks once a year. The Scuba Goop stuff will peel right off, labels can work if applied on the bottom, in the cavity near the foot-pocket, but is dependent upon the material and fin design.....

Re:Fins, I've used some oil-based reflective paint to put a stripe down the bottom and it seems to hold up well around Seattle.

Just random speculation: spray PlastiDip or spray FlexSeal.

This thread is about marking gear, so I'd say it's plenty on topic. Fins are a tough one to mark permanently... Generally, I'd suggest an oil based paint on a very well cleaned surface, but it will still likely flake off over time, and oil based is not healthy for sealife.... There are a few members who have posted pictures of painted fins, try searching those.

Beyond that, I'd suggest Sharpie or some other permanent marker, and refresh the marks once a year. The Scuba Goop stuff will peel right off, labels can work if applied on the bottom, in the cavity near the foot-pocket, but is dependent upon the material and fin design.....

I use these on my gear and they work well

Amazon.com: Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers, Medium Point, Assorted & Metallic Colors, 5 Count - Great for Rock Painting: Office Products

Back
Top Bottom