Gear Inspection Costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xxkylexx

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm currently getting certified and am considering getting some of my own equipment for diving (regulator, octo, guages, BC, tank, etc).

From my understanding, this equipment is suppose to be checked out yearly by a dive shop to make sure that it is still in good, working condition.

How much do these kind of yearly inspections cost?

Also, how much do the 5-year hydro tests for tanks cost?

I understand this price probably isn't fixed, but I'm just looking for an estimate. I live in Florida if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

I cannot recall the cost. Being an instructor now I don't pay for it. The cost is reasonable...I want to say around $60.00 Just ask your LDS. The bottom line however is that it is a safety factor that you would be wise to follow. Also be aware that it isn't necessarily a yearly thing. Anytime you have a question or concern regarding the functioning of a part of your gear you need to get it checked out. The cost will always be worth it....

Just a ball park figure in MO. VIP's 15, reg service 35 + parts (this is normally free on most regs in warranty) Hydro 30.

Very inexpensive. Hope this helps.

Ask your shop since it varies wildly with brand and shop.

Any yearly parts kit is often included for a number of years or lifetime IF you pay to have the work done every year. There may be parts beyond the kit that cost extra. You may pay $15 - $25 per stage (1st, primary 2nd, and alternate 2nd) for labor. This is for a typical "rebuild". Some dives opt to have the tech take a peek inside for an inspection fee and service only when there is an apparent need. This of course puts all of the future parts at your expense.

Few get the BC inspected. Clean and inspect thoroughly yourself and keep an eye on the inflater valve. If you believe it got sand inside or is starting to stick get the valve looked at for cleaning or replacement. When in doubt get it checked. Otherwise pay $15 - $25 for a BC service whatever else that is.

The VIP sticker inspection will run about $15 yearly and the 5 year hydro is in the $15 - $ 20 range when done through the shop. A little less if you deal with the hydro provider. Some shops do them right in house.

Regs more like 100+ dollars at least here.

I'd say fill your BC with air and see if it holds overnight. (do it yourself)

VIP 12 here

for me, that is it.

Good god, I've paid between $180-220 for my reg inspections. They're in the shop now, and I'm fully expecting to fork out around $250.

Must be those flipping scubapro parts kits... lacquered in platinum and sprinkled with fairydust. :eyecrazy::bic:

That's why I said it varies wildly.

When I was originally shopping for our gear a local Scuba Pro dealer quoted 25 per stage to service. Parts were free but there would be about $20. extra in o-rings not included with the kit. I figured I needed to go into the o-ring business!

I bought Sherwoods and learned to service them myself.

Pete

Wow. There is a pretty wide range of prices. $220 for a regulator annual, whoa! At that price you could just buy a brand new reg every other year.

In Minnesota I pay $6 for VIP's. The annual on my regulators (first stage and both second stages) is $30 plus parts if necessary. I guess we got it good. Or maybe it's the shop, not sure. $45 also buys me unlimited air fills for a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom