gear dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm relatively new to diving, however I'm going to be diving with a bunch of experienced divers. I currently have a Genesis GS2000 reg setup, and a Dive Rite Transpac with a Rec Wing. Not thrilled about the wing since i don't think I'm going to do doubles, but it works fine for now. I'm looking to buy my own tanks, since I have full access to an SCBA compressor, so it just makes sense. I found these two listings on craigslist, and am asking which you guys would go for for the money.
Scuba gear
I'm trying to get the guy to lower the price by dropping the wetsuit and BC. I have 0 need for a 7mm since I have gone diving in 55* water in a 3mm with a 5mm hood and been comfortable. A 7mm would bring a whole new meaning to the word steamer. Oh, the tanks are steel 100's in current hydro

OMS Dive Package GREAT PRICE
That's the other option. Great regs, small tank, not willing to split the set.

Oh, can the GS2000 setup be converted to use with the HP Steel 3442psi tanks? I know there's a DIN adapter but didn't know if the 3500psi rating on the 1st stage would hold up

Thanks much guys

Be careful with the scba compressed air. SCBA air only needs to be class D . SCUBA is class E. Class E is drier to prevent free flows from icing in the regs.

The SCBA compressor is used for the dive unit at the station, so it's rated for class E. Already made sure of that before I kept pushing forward

I'm relatively new to diving, however I'm going to be diving with a bunch of experienced divers. I currently have a Genesis GS2000 reg setup, and a Dive Rite Transpac with a Rec Wing. Not thrilled about the wing since i don't think I'm going to do doubles, but it works fine for now. I'm looking to buy my own tanks, since I have full access to an SCBA compressor, so it just makes sense. I found these two listings on craigslist, and am asking which you guys would go for for the money.
Scuba gear
I'm trying to get the guy to lower the price by dropping the wetsuit and BC. I have 0 need for a 7mm since I have gone diving in 55* water in a 3mm with a 5mm hood and been comfortable. A 7mm would bring a whole new meaning to the word steamer. Oh, the tanks are steel 100's in current hydro

Oh, can the GS2000 setup be converted to use with the HP Steel 3442psi tanks? I know there's a DIN adapter but didn't know if the 3500psi rating on the 1st stage would hold up

Thanks much guys
You obviously know yourself better than I do, but 55 degrees in a 3 mil? How long were you in that water? Hey, if that works for you, great, I'm not knocking it. But it does strike me as quite unusual, unless you train for it by sleeping in a freezer each evening!

Just an FYI, as you dive more, you will work less and that 3mil will most likely not be anywhere near sufficient in 55 degree water for long. Dive professionals in the Caribbean regularly wear 5mil and even 7mil suits with vests or core warmers, hoods and gloves because they become acclimated to the water and start getting cold.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Was in there for about 45 mins. I throw off quite a bit of heat naturally, and growing up swimming in the New England water was good prep for that. I started off in a 5mm but was roasting so on the second dive I switched to my 3mm but kept the 5mm hood and gloves. Was quite comfortable. I'm one of those nuts that goes spring skiing in shorts and a T-shirt, same with ice skating and what not.

I wasn't saying I would stay that way for long, it's just that at the time, the 5mm was unbearably hot. I've done a lot of skin diving and been a fish since day 1. I'll just hope the day that I need any type of thermal protection in above 75* water never comes.

So any suggestions on the other stuff?

@saxplayer1004: The "HP" OMS 85 tank listed in your linked Craigslist ad is probably not a HP tank at all. AFAIK, the only OMS 85 tank out there is LP. People list incorrect info on tanks all the time in classified ads. Before plunking down a wad of cash on a used tank, I'd recommend learning how to read scuba tank markings to verify the capacity, service pressure, and hydro info. Here's a link to a quick guide. Sellers aren't always that knowledgeable about their stuff.

FYI, many newer HP steel tanks come with 5 thread, 200 bar DIN tank valves designed to accept a yoke adapter insert. Those tank valves are really convenient, since you can use them with both yoke or DIN configured regs. Be careful, though. There are also some older HP steel tanks that come with 7 thread, 300 bar DIN tank valves...that don't work with the yoke adapter insert, so these valves can only be used with DIN configured regs. I mention this because the style of tank valve that you end up with will determine whether you need to convert your GS2000 reg to DIN.

As you pointed out, the GS2000 setup can be converted to DIN with a DIN conversion kit. Installation is straightforward and the part costs about $50. I'd recommend holding off on this conversion for now...until you purchase your tanks.

Be patient. I'm sure that you'll stumble across a good deal on a used HP steel tank.

Have fun and dive safe...

I haven't actually seen the tanks in person, they are in Boston, I'm in NC. My family lives up there, so I was planning on picking them up if I opted for them when I got there. I can read the tank markings, but when I haven't seen them in person/seen detailed pix of the tank. The pictures you have seen are the only ones I've seen as of yet. Was more looking to see if one was drastically better than the other, and then I'll harp on the seller for details.

I'm thinking I'm going to see if the guy with the two tanks will split his up, and if they're 300bar then would it be worth it to buy the Triton regulator with it, or buy the conversion for my current regulator?

DIVE GEAR
That was the other option. Bit of driving, but there's a 100cf HP Steel, pony bottle, and doubles AL80's. Guy hasn't responded back for the price of the 2x al80's.

I'm relatively new to diving, however I'm going to be diving with a bunch of experienced divers. I currently have a Genesis GS2000 reg setup, and a Dive Rite Transpac with a Rec Wing. Not thrilled about the wing since i don't think I'm going to do doubles, but it works fine for now.
It should. Not necessarily an 'ideal' single tank BCD but a very good one. You will probably want to consider replacing the reg before the BCD.
saxplayer1004:
I'm looking to buy my own tanks ... and am asking which you guys would go for for the money.
I read this as the specific question in your post.
saxplayer1004:
Scuba gear
So, basically, you would be paying $700 for two steel 100s, if the seller is unwilling to sell individually. Yes, I know a lot comes with the set up, but you indicated that you are looking to buy tanks. Not an attractive value proposition for the two tanks, or for the entire setup for that matter. If the price was $200 less, it would be close, considering what you would get. Living in Raleigh, might you possibly be diving Fantasy Lake, maybe Rawlings, maybe Bluestone at times during the winter? If so, a 7mm might have some utility (although I personally prefer a drysuit over any wetsuit thicker than 3mm).
And, the 'price is firm'. If what you really want tanks, there is NO reason to consider this package. I would not consider an IQ Pack anyway, if I already had a TransPac. Actually, I would not consider an IQ Pack for any reason. Given what you want - tanks - this one does not seem to make sense for you.
saxplayer1004:
Oh, can the GS2000 setup be converted to use with the HP Steel 3442psi tanks?
Call Airtech, over at Gypsy in Raleigh, and ask them if a DIN conversion kit is available for the GS2000.
DIVE GEAR
That was the other option. Bit of driving, but there's a 100cf HP Steel, pony bottle, and doubles AL80's. Guy hasn't responded back for the price of the 2x al80's.
If what you really want is tanks, it would seem you should looks for tanks, not full gear packages that people are trying to unload. Go on eBay and you will find a lot of them. I am a little surprised you haven't found more on Craigslist, but listings vary over time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom