Gear Bags - what to get and does it have to be a scuba brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a $14.95 blue mesh bag from Sports Authority. Everything drains, I can dump the WHOLE MESS in the dunk tank when I get in from diving. It's great!!!

I have a Dacor gear bag that I got with the set of equipment I picked up from a diver who was unloading all his stuff. My wife used a plastic tub which was okay for local dives, but we switched to a hockey bag for wreck diving.

I'd recommend a hockey bag for following reasons:
- better security, doesn't scream expensive dive gear inside
- has pockets at both ends and maybe sides for small gear
- has strong carry straps
- may have mesh pockets external pockets for bathing suits and wet towels
- you can use for other things like hockey gear when water gets stiff on top!

just my 2c,
Dave

If I were shopping for a new gear bag I would look for any bag that was tough! Gear bags get the crap beat out of them and take a lot of abuse. I would also look for one that didn't have Scuba Logo's all over it. The patches and logos act as a thief magnet. I have a large Armor roller bag that is all black. It just looks like a beat up suitcase and I've never had a problem with travel and theft. The thing is bullet proof. It's been all over the world and is still in great shape.

Scott

Walmart "ActionPacker" ($20 or so) plastic tub and 2 padlocks (Master) for flying places. Everything fits but the fins which go in the main suitcase.

I've used it to go to the Caymans a few times and once to Ft Lauderdale. Just keep it under 70 pounds, slap on the lid and padlocks and wrap some duct tape around it as the lid can bulg up a bit in the middle.

Also use it to wash then store the gear in it once everything is dry.

1 Akona mesh backpack style, lightweigt gear bag for tropical and a larger heavy duty duffel with shoulder straps bag for heavier gear diving off New Jersey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom