Gear bags vs Hardcases

How do you transport your gear to dive sites?

• Pelican Hard Cases

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Rubbermaid

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Dive gear bags

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • Generic Duffle Bags

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other... Please explain in post

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it sometimes takes me 4-6 hours untill I can get home and was the stuff, all the gear in well marinated.

Actually well marinated is a good thing. If you aren't able to rinse your gear, you would prefer it to remain wet so that salt crystals don't form. I agree on the sand and your invention is a good idea. You could then, place that on top of all your gear when soaking it in the bin to keep it from floating (placing lead on top).

Otter

It depends on where I'm diving and how much travelling is involved. I take dive gear on business trips, and for that it travels in a rolling bag (can't remember the brand) that has a single external zipper and nothing on it that says, "steal me, I'm diving equipment." For actually getting on the boat, everything is in a mesh bag.

agstreet once bubbled...
It depends on where I'm diving and how much travelling is involved. I take dive gear on business trips, and for that it travels in a rolling bag (can't remember the brand) that has a single external zipper and nothing on it that says, "steal me, I'm diving equipment." For actually getting on the boat, everything is in a mesh bag.

For air travel I use a cheap Samsonite clam style case which retails for under $100 in Cdn funds.

For Diving from my van I use big Rubbermaid plastic boxes, and lots of 'em. The wet stuff goes in one and the dry stuff goes in the rest. I carry enuf gear for 2 or 3 divers on most trips.

For dive boats I use a plain mesh bag and a small drybag. The dry stuff goes in the drybag immediately after boarding and gets hung up somewhere out of the way. The stuff to be used is in the mesh bag and goes back after the dive. In a pinch the whole damned thing can be dunked to rinse post-dive.

JohnF

I have a 21 gallon rubbermaid type bin that I was thinking of using for my dive gear and I'm wondering if that is too big. What size should I get that will fit under most benches on boats, or is the 21 gallon a good size?

walt williams once bubbled...
About the Akona bag -- I'm thinking of buying that one for my wife for her birthday. You mention that it's a bit small -- how small. She has only basic gear and I carry the save-a-dive kit, first aid, etc.

How do you like the bag otherwise -- quality, ruggedness, wheels, etc.?

Thanks.

Walt

big akona roller bag :
I've used this bag on numerous trips with no issues until recently. Last year the zipper pulls were ripped off of the big front pocket. Airline wouldn't cover the cost to repair it. Not that big of a deal. Bag has held up fine during lots of flights.

On my last trip all of a sudden the bag was "too big for the conveyor belt" and I was charged $50 after a bit of drama by the ticket agent. Yes, I admit, by their tape measure it exceeded the combined lineal length of 62 inches even though it wasn't packed full. My beef is that no other ticket agent during at least 12 check-ins even mentioned the size as long as it was under the weight restriction. Guess it's variable between different agents perceptions?

I now own 2 brand new slightly smaller Akona bags that are well within the 62 inch limit so hopefully smooth sailing for my future trips. I just don't want that hassle at 5:00am ever again. One is an open duffle w/ wheels and handle, other is smaller version of my current big bag. Between the two I'll be able to bring everything I own :O

Anyone interested in a used large Akona roller bag?? It'll be up for sale on ebay soon.

We use the Action Packer tubs for any diving that we drive to. They're great!

I use a old milk crate. Fits enough gear to dive my doubles. Dry suit in a separate bag. Most dive boats in NJ won't allow the large tubs or hard cases on board.

to carry my equipment around. It fits my trunk perfectly.

By the time I start flying to divesites I'll probably get a bag.

Stone once bubbled...
1. Large Samsonite for air travel

This is particularily good as it doesn't look like dive gear this way...it is easier to stay within the 50 pound limitation on most airlines (or less) and you can get them CHEAP at Big Lots, Sam's Club, Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory or any host of discount stores. They are so cheap you don't feel bad if the airlines destroy them. I CERTAINLY felt bad when they trashed the $300+ dive bags I used to buy. Plus they have WHEELS!!! (Don't forget a mesh bag and dry bag for the boat. They don't work well on boats!)

Stone once bubbled...
2. Akona semi-mesh on friend's boats or charters

This or a similar dive bag for gear on the boat and of course your dry bag for the salon or just to keep the dry stuff dry. This works very well for the Caribbean and fits in that cheap suitcase you just used to fly to your destination with.

Stone once bubbled...
3. Rubbermaid tubs on my own boat

These do work well......however try for the slightly smaller size. As others have said in this post....many boat capts. do not like these on their boats nor in many cases is there even room for them. However using these as your primary storage is great. See the post describing the benefits of storage both pre and post dives; easier checking (write your checklist in perm marker on the lid so you can make sure you have everything); easier traveling IF traveling by car. Although I've seen some folks bungee them up and fly with them. In this case....cheaper is better!

Years ago, I saw some Rubbermaid tote boxes with wheels. Bought one and have used it ever since to carry my dive gear whenever I travel.

It had a clamshell design with handles on one end and wheels on the opposite. It had a built in latch on both sides. It can carry all my gear save for the tanks and I am able to drag the whole thing behind me as I walk along.

10 years later, its scratched and battered but still in one piece. I've used it to travel by air, boat, car and to date I still get approached by divers wanting to know where I bought it (Philippines).

I've gone to the Rubbermaid website to search for the product but don't find it anymore. I still have the original sticker that showed the stock number.

Somebody tell Rubbermaid they may have a late bloomer here :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom