Gear bags vs Hardcases

How do you transport your gear to dive sites?

• Pelican Hard Cases

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Rubbermaid

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Dive gear bags

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • Generic Duffle Bags

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other... Please explain in post

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Rubbermaid tub - it fits under the bench of the boat I regularly dive from, it's easier to rummage around in on the boat than a wet, floppy duffle bag, everything fits in it except my drysuit which goes in a seperate bag (usually don that before getting on the boat anyway), it doubles as a rinse tub, saves the carpet in the car trunk, and my buddy and I can fit two side-by-side in his trunk.

Plus once everything's rinsed and dried, it stacks nicely in the storage cupboard at home. And it gives you somewhere to stick the DIVER sticker from COVCI on the side.

When diving from new boats that I don't know if it will fit on or not, I pack a mesh bag inside, and I can transfer everything into the mesh bag if needed at the last minute and leave the tub in the car.

For $5 or so it's one of the best value for money dive purchases you can make.

I think I'm gonna switch to a big rubber maid box. Sounds like it's a lot easier to get at everything inside the box. Plus I'm sure it gives some protection for your gear.

My son and I use a hard plastic case that we bought at Container Store. Perfect size for our gear. Looks like a footlocker. I love it!

carfier once bubbled...
My son and I use a hard plastic case that we bought at Container Store. Perfect size for our gear. Looks like a footlocker. I love it!

How much did they cost? Do they have a website?

I have Sterile (sp?) Plastic boxes for local diving, and two Hardshell Samsonlite cases for international work.
I like the samsons, cos they are unobtrusive

I waisted about 180 on an Oceanic bag. I already regret it because the bag is not taking normal wear very well at all. If I could do it again I would get a pelican case. I thought it would have been too heavy (over 70#) the first time around.

For local diving, my wife and I use a 45 gallon Rubbermaid box with wheels for everything exept tanks and weights - they are bungeed onto a dollie. The dollie works great if you need to transport the heavy stuff for any distance.

For travel we'll either FedEx the gear ahead of us if it's practical, or use generic travel duffels. A good generic duffel is usually cheaper than official gear bags and seem to made just as well - if not better.

I made a compromise and use both...

I used to use a Deep Outdoors Tropical Traveller, which was a great bag. The only issue I had was that with all my gear and weights in it, it was a pain to lift and carry when needed. I've switched just after the past Dutch Springs expedition we just had.

Now I use a Rubbermaid 16.3 gallon tub for the backplate/wing, fins, light cannister, spool, reel, liftbag, hood, DC gloves. It's a much smaller size than most of the hardcases/rubbermaid tubs that most other people use and is easy to tuck away, yet large enough to hold the kit fully assembled and ready to dive.

For the drysuit undergarment, spare clothes, regulator, snacks, cards/logs, toolkit, spare parts, computer, compass, O2 analyzer, mask (in box), snorkle, backup lights, cutting tools, zipper wax, KY, lotion, lip balm, other misc garbage, etc. I pack into a Deep Outdoors Medium Submariner.

The drysuit goes folded nicely into a seperate stuff sack. Soft weights for the weight pockets go into another small plastic food container.

I roll it all around bungied Ruxxac folding luggage cart. Rubbermaid on bottom, bag on top of tub and stuff sack+small plastic food container on top of that.

i have a rubbermaid case. Its called the " Action Packer" by rubbermaid. I advice u to use this one

Back
Top Bottom