Gear bags on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

take a large mesh bag ..leave gear bag in room,only used to transport on airline..hang suit to dry in locker and put everything else in mesh bag,except for weight belt..we are at Buddy's 4/21-4/28..taking a group of 25 out of ny...

spectrum:
Hey, maybe we'll see you there. We'll be diving out of Buddy Dive. Be on the lookout for a diver or 2 diving double hose regulators. We arrive early on 4/29.

Thanks for the dive bag info, that leaves a few pounds for more useful stuff!

Pete

Hey Pete -

We talked in another thread about being on the same flight... EnronX is actually one of two buddies traveling there with me and staying at the Den Laman, so you'll more than maybe see him! :wink: Actually, that's me in the background of his avatar........

Anyway, I agree - ditch the bag. Never used mine once...

For boat diving at the hotel, even if it's not far to the boat, I still find throwing my stuff in my mesh bag easier than trying to wrap it all together and leaving a trail of things as I walk.

oly5050user:
take a large mesh bag ..leave gear bag in room,only used to transport on airline..hang suit to dry in locker and put everything else in mesh bag,except for weight belt..we are at Buddy's 4/21-4/28..taking a group of 25 out of ny...

if you mean use a mesh bag to check your stuff on the plane, I wouldn't recommend that. Doesn't offer any protection and too easy to get caught up someplace.

Damselfish:
For boat diving at the hotel, even if it's not far to the boat, I still find throwing my stuff in my mesh bag easier than trying to wrap it all together and leaving a trail of things as I walk.

if you mean use a mesh bag to check your stuff on the plane, I wouldn't recommend that. Doesn't offer any protection and too easy to get caught up someplace.

read the post I wrote..Big dive bag used to transport from home/airport /room,keep big bag in resort room..use a mesh bag once there to store at resort locker/go on boat or truck..been to Bonaire more times than I can count(lost count after 12 trips) and that is the easiest way to go..

oly5050user:

Just be careful hanging your octo with your bc. One morning I discovered my octo laying on the ground...somebody must have bumped it lugging gear past it. Half-way into that morning's dive I realized that my mouth piece had a small tear, which must have been from where it hit the ground. Not really a big deal and an easy fix. Next time my octo is going back to my room with me though.

oly5050user:
read the post I wrote..Big dive bag used to transport from home/airport /room,keep big bag in resort room..use a mesh bag once there to store at resort locker/go on boat or truck..been to Bonaire more times than I can count(lost count after 12 trips) and that is the easiest way to go..
yeah sorry, easy to misinterpret something that has funny punctuation.

No need to use the bag when driving to a dive site in our experience. Trucks we've rented from AB Car Rental always had wooden racks for tanks, although ones made for one model truck don't always fit well in another model truck. Often one is liberated from an as-yet unrented truck bed to be put into your truck bed, if something similar happened previously to your truck's rack. Daisy-chaining zip ties can help minimize the wooden tank rack shifting & sliding if it doesn't fit your truck bed well.

We just came back from Curacao, where I rented a truck from Hertz, and tried to get them to put a wooden tank rack in like their Bonaire counterparts use before we got there, to no avail. At the last minute I ordered one of those portable tank roll controllers made from what looks like swimming pool floation noodles and rope. It cost around US$30, you could probably make it yourself for a lot less than that - we were pressed for time. Worked like a charm, minimal weight in the luggage. I got the one for 3 tanks, which if you're creative, can work for up to 6 tanks if you stack them triangle-shape - good enough for roll control but not a good idea if you're going up hills. Beats having tanks in the passenger compartment clanging though, and I'm pretty sure I could rig independant doubles and use the soft roll control rack easily, which is something the wooden racks don't lend themselves to. So, that's an alternative I'll keep in mind if I return to Bonaire.

When the dive shop employees would occasionally come out to our truck to help unload empty tanks and load full ones in (never at Ocean Encounters West, sometimes at Hook's Diving), they always had questions about the pool-noodle-and-rope tank roll control gizmo, so maybe those will be commonplace on Curacao by the next time we visit there.

Have a great trip!

Damselfish:
yeah sorry, easy to misinterpret something that has funny punctuation.

And I am sorry if I came of a little snotty.Did not mean to but picked up on it after I reread my post..

Back
Top Bottom