Gear bags on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there any need for a gear bag while on Bonaire?

For shore diving it sounds like you just crib your BC stuff in the back of the truck and head off to a site or two.

If we do some of the boat dives on Klein (from Buddy) the boat ride seems so short that we would probably leave the dock just about ready to jump.

So veterans, how does it really work?

Thanks,
Pete

We don't really use our gear bags in Bonaire, we put the tank/bc/reg together and just run a BC strap thru fins and mask strap to keep everything together. I have my wetsuit on half way and jump in the truck or on the boat and off we go. Works for us and leaves nothing in the truck to grow legs.

I agree with txdano...anything you leave in your truck may attract attention. We have left small things (cell phone, disposable camera, shirts) tucked in the seat cushions but anything bigger than that like a bag may be a waste. If you dive off alot of the house reefs(Lehman and Divi Flamingo) they have lockers you can put a bag with your save a dive kit in a relative safe spot.

T-Minus 3 weeks and 3 days till I'm back in Bonaire!

EnronX:
T-Minus 3 weeks and 3 days till I'm back in Bonaire!

Hey, maybe we'll see you there. We'll be diving out of Buddy Dive. Be on the lookout for a diver or 2 diving double hose regulators. We arrive early on 4/29.

Thanks for the dive bag info, that leaves a few pounds for more useful stuff!

Pete

Just throw everything in the back of the truck and go. You won't have anything with you that you won't be using.

Never take one myself, we just thow it all in the truck when shore diving. Most of the boat docks are a few feet from the dive lockers so we just carry it to the boat, set it up on the boat. The ride to Klein is maybe 15 minutes away

Do the trucks generally have something to attach tanks to or are extras just rolling around?

I was thinking that most of the stuff gets thrown onto the backseat of the truck for the ride, then you rig it on the site. I have some cheapy freebie bags I can take if I just want to keep stuff from being thrown around.

The benefit of having some kind of baggy might be if you want to carry stuff back to your room for the night I guess? Like lights, regs etc.

piikki:
Do the trucks generally have something to attach tanks to or are extras just rolling around?
Some of them have real tank racks. Ours did at one time. Still we drove around with 6-8 tanks daily, sometimes two in the backseat on the floor. We just used our BC's as a sort of cover to keep them from rolling around.

No need for a bag, and not a good idea to leave it around as things do leave the trucks! Many of the trucks have at least a wood tank rack that works fine as long as you are not tearing around the island too fast. Many trucks are extended cabs or quad cabs so you can pack gear in the back seat for the drive and then unpack at the site. Leave your windows open and doors unlocked so you don't have to buy a windo if someone gets persistent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom