G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!
I've lurked on here now and then but I figured it was time to register and say hi.
I'm based in Melbourne, though I haven't dived here yet. Got my OW a couple of years ago in Vanuatu (though I don't think my instructor was great...), since then I've dived in Malaysian Borneo including Sipadan (my first dive trip post-OW), and around Komodo National Park, Indonesia - so I've been spoilt so far!

I have 30-40 dives under my belt, and I'm thinking of going for my AOW end of the year.
I have a few specific queries and concerns I'll start threads one. Buoyancy and stability is still an ongoing concern, sometimes I feel pretty good at it, sometimes not so good, but maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself at my level of experience.

Done a couple of night dives, a few drift dives. I have a mask and fins, though not happy with my mask (I still constantly seem to get leaks....and I should probably get a prescription lens one), and now starting my research for a reg.

so I might only dive once a year on a 3-5day or so trip, though I should start doing some occasional diving here....however, I try to make sure I'm not a stereotypical 'holiday diver' and try to keep conscious of my skills, limitations and risks and keep improving.

Wife is also a diver and we always dive together, but she's been able to take more holidays than me so she has twice the number of dives and also has her AOW. So regularly diving with somebody more skilled probably can make me a bit more frustrated where my skills lack sometimes :p (largely it's oxygen consumption and buoyancy/stability that bother me)

Hi all!
I've lurked on here now and then but I figured it was time to register and say hi.
I'm based in Melbourne, though I haven't dived here yet. Got my OW a couple of years ago in Vanuatu (though I don't think my instructor was great...), since then I've dived in Malaysian Borneo including Sipadan (my first dive trip post-OW), and around Komodo National Park, Indonesia - so I've been spoilt so far!

I have 30-40 dives under my belt, and I'm thinking of going for my AOW end of the year.
I have a few specific queries and concerns I'll start threads one. Buoyancy and stability is still an ongoing concern, sometimes I feel pretty good at it, sometimes not so good, but maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself at my level of experience.

Done a couple of night dives, a few drift dives. I have a mask and fins, though not happy with my mask (I still constantly seem to get leaks....and I should probably get a prescription lens one), and now starting my research for a reg.

so I might only dive once a year on a 3-5day or so trip, though I should start doing some occasional diving here....however, I try to make sure I'm not a stereotypical 'holiday diver' and try to keep conscious of my skills, limitations and risks and keep improving.

Wife is also a diver and we always dive together, but she's been able to take more holidays than me so she has twice the number of dives and also has her AOW. So regularly diving with somebody more skilled probably can make me a bit more frustrated where my skills lack sometimes :p (largely it's oxygen consumption and buoyancy/stability that bother me)

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're pleased to have you join us. You'll learn a lot that you can apply to helpyou improve your diving.

First of all, wow, you have been on some wonderful trips already.
Second, it's unfortunate that your wife has more vacation than do you have. Great for her though but the thing is, women generally are better on air than men are in the first place, all things being equal. And in your case, they aren't equal since she's getting in more diving and instruction than are you.

But you're diving with us now. :wink:

Welcome. Enjoy being able to lean on the wife for things, it's always handy to have someone close by with experience.

Welcome! Impressive list of dive locations thus far, that's Awesome! Go for AOW (or other Advanced course) and Definitely invest in a proper fitting mask. Hope all goes well. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom