GBR for first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katelyle

New
Reaction score
Am going to GBR April 2003. Planned to stay in Port Douglas. Did PADI OW in October 2002 & would like 4 day-ish dive package, maybe live aboard. My friend snorkels. Have seen lots of trips out of Cairns - is that a better base? Is it better to book in advance or could I get something on the spot? Thought maybe pre-booking not great idea if weather's bad (rainy season?) Any suggestions? Thanks.

Normally I'd recommend the Undersea Explorer out of Port Douglas to the Coral Sea. However, it's a 7-day trip, and I'm not sure how much your snorkeler friend would enjoy the two deep days at Osprey reef.

Taka Dive out of Cairns might be more to your liking, operating 4-day and 5-day trips as they do. This is not a Mike Ball-level luxury cruise, however, so make sure you're aware of conditions aboard and manage your expectations accordingly.

I haven't tried Taka myself; I'm basing this on what I've read here and on other sites, but primarily on the polar-opposite experiences of two acquaintances (one of whom's expectations were woefully unrealistic).

Whatever you decide, I'd highly recommend getting AOW certification before going so you can dive the deeper sites...especially out at Osprey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom