Gauge setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wabelita once bubbled...
Being new to SCUBA diving...
I’m going to put both a compass and computer on my right hand and use a small pressure gauge, no console, for air monitoring... The left will be free for BC control during assents...

Why? Do you need to look at your compass when you're ascending?

wabelita --

My gauge setup is very similar to the one you describe, except that my compass is on my left wrist and my computer (Oceanic Versa Pro) is on my right. The important (and excellent, in my opinion) move you're making is ditching the console and going for wrist mounts. Whether you wear both right, both left, one on each -- whatever, you'll figure out what you like.

My 2 cents on computers: I find the Automatic Safety Stop Prompt on my buddys' computers to be annoying. You just don't need it; I find the riot of beeps given off when the computer kicks into automatic count-down mode at 15 ft irritating. Just ascend to 15 ft and watch your time. That's all you need.

Good luck!
steve

I wear my depth guage/timer on my right wrist, my compass (a Sunnto SK-7) on my left wrist and my SPG is clipped off to a D-Ring attached to my waist strap on my left hip.

None of the gear dangles down below the plane of body posing an entanglement hazard and everything is in position to quickly glance at it when needed.

The compass wrist strap has been replaced with 2 properly sized bungie cords. It takes no time to put on. The compass is also properly placed so that it can be held level and the lubber line can be be easily placed in line with the body.

One disadvantage of having the compass on a console is that the SPG hose now has be longer so that you can position the compass so that you can properly use it. The longer hose presents an entanglement issue.

An advantage of wearing the depth gauge on the right wrist rather then on a console is that during ascents and descents when you most need to monitor your depth your hands are free to deal with controlling your bouyancy. With a depth guage mounted on a console you will likely be holding it in your left hand. With most BCs your left hand is what you normally use to add and dump air to maintain proper buoyancy. Add a camera to the mix or some other piece of gear and if you have to hold the console in your hand to monitor your depth, most of us have run out of hands.

Experienced divers should be able to track their air consumption without constantly monitoring their SPG. Checking the SPG every 5 mins or so should be sufficient to allow the diver to know the remaining pressure in their tank plus or minus 100 psi at any time.

It's summer, the weekend is upon us, go dive !!!

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

MikeS once bubbled...
... the compass attached to the Cobra, task loading during gear up is reduced as I have one less piece of gear to attach. This also reduces the amount of time it takes to get into the water after exposure protection is put on which can be a big benefit in hot weather.
Mike I can understand this issue with increased task loading. Too often divers have issues with a piece of dive gear above water that causes them to worry about equipment underwater.

I have had situations where one piece of equipment just wasn't really right and I found that when fixed or left behind the diving was far less stressful.

wabelita we all develop habits for diving that we are individually comfortable with. Think over all the suggestions posted here for positioning of gauge gear and go with what makes you the most comfortable. I have always used an air integrated computer with a compass attachment. I currently use the Suunto Cobra with compass attachment. I personally don't want anything attached to my wrists or my legs, not even a dive watch. I want all my gauges/dive info in one place. If "all my eggs are in one basket" type computer quits, the solution is quite simple, surface. :shades:

RICHinNC once bubbled...
...Suunto has had too many problems lately.
I've been using Suunto for 1 1/2 years of diving and never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom